1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was a lesbian, but if I'm not a girl....

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Delta, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Delta

I sort of grew up under the assumption that "girl" was applied to me because "girl" meant people like me, so the identity decision went something along the lines of "If I am like this, and I like people who are also like this, and "this" is "girl", then I must be a lesbian.

But "this" is not "girl," and now I am not sure what I am in terms of sexuality.

I know that I am a non-binary person, and I know that I have female sex characteristics, but a masculine-of-center gender presentation. And I know that I like people who are like me in all of these aspects. But I'm not sure how to convey that in a my new identity, and accuracy is extremely important to me.

I've heard of "ceterosexual", which might describe me, but I'd like suggestions or advice. Discovering my sexuality and coming out as a lesbian was much easier than this, so the experience actually isn't helping much.

2. HerrinDesFeuers

What about simply homosexual/-romantic? Most people think that homosexuality just means men who like men or women who like women, but actually the word just implies that you like the same sex/gender, ergo the one you also identify as yourself.
    At least that's how I understand it.

#2 HerrinDesFeuers, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  3. intherye

Yeah, I had this problem too. What I'm going with, for me, is panromantic homosexual? For you, that doesn't exactly solve everything you mentioned but maybe try something like that. I also know of non-binary people whi call themselves 'gay' regardless, and define that however they like. And of course there's always just 'queer', though I guess sometimes you might want to be more specific. Anyway, good luck!

4. Seagypsy

I can understand this. That's why I describe even my attractions to men as being "gay" attractions, because I feel I have a bisexual/androgynous gender identity and I like people who have the same gender identity, even though I prefer them to have a male body (or feel more comfortable with that idea). I knew it wasn't "straight!" :dry:

5. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not too picky, so I just call myself a lesbian. But there's always the oh so simple "I'm into chicks" if all else fails :wink:

6. Elliottbfh

Out Status:
    All but family
    Androsexual/Androphilic is attraction to masculine features, Gynesexual/Gynephilic is attraction to feminine features, Pansexual is attraction to all, Skoliosexual is attraction to genderqueer/nb. These are mostly used by genderqueer/nb people because of their lack of gender on the spectrum. Being called a lesbian would imply that you're female/identify as female. So, I don't think that would be the right fit for you.

Keep going, you're so strong.