1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure what to do :( kind of a long read, bear with me

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by crazymirrorofme, Mar 27, 2016.

1. crazymirrorofme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi there, I've been carrying this for a long time and really needed a place to unload. I'm not sure if there really isn't any advice that will help, but there is literally no one in my life that I can share this with safely.

So, I am a happily married mother-of-two and have been with my husband for 13 years. We are both cisgendered, but he is straight, while I have always felt I was bisexual. He knows this but that part of my sexuality has never been introduced into our relationship beyomd talung about it. In fact, I have have had limited sexual contact with other women however I feel strongly it's not just passing attraction - I didn't have to have sex with a man to know I was attracted to men, so by the same token, I feel like I can trust my feelings of attraction to women without having actually had sex with one. Throughout my life, I have had a lot of crushes on girls and even close friends, but they have mostly been fleeting. I am pretty open about my sexuality, I don't really hide the fact that I consider myself bisexual, but still, I am basically considered straight by most people who know me. Attraction to other women has always been there though and even though I know that bringing another woman into my relationship is not something my husband is interested in, I've never felt like it was a big deal. We have a great sex life and I am satisfied - also still very much in love after 13 years. HOWEVER....

This is where it gets tricky.

A couple of years ago, I made a new friend. We have children around the same age and have a lot in common. We became good friends very fast and started hanging out a lot. From the beginning, there has always been sexual innuendo between us, which isn't uncommon for me as that's the kind of humor I usually put out LOL I think right from the beginning, I felt attracted to her, both her personality and looks, - she's pretty much my ideal woman physically - But it was about a year into the friendship when I realized that there waasstronger feelings than just physical attraction. I don't know what to call this. Love doesn't seem right, infatuation is maybe closer but still not quite right. It's been a long time and the feelings haven't gone away. We don't spend all our time together by any means, we both have families and husbands and other friends, I find myself thinking about her a lot. She stands out to me. There is definitely something there that I don't have with anybody else.

I often wonder if I'm imagining that she feels the same, because it really seems like she does. There is a great deal of tension between us. I suspect that she is torn in the same way that I am. But of course, I have no way of knowing without talking to her.

I don't know if it's just that I don't have anybody else I can talk to about this, or if these are feelings I need to explore further somehow, but it's been driving me mad. I keep expecting it to subside, but it doesn't. And while I have no intentions of breaking up my marriage, I also don't see how I can explore this any further without irrevocably changing both my life and hers. I mean, how can I even broach this to her without it changing everything between us? Even if it just stayed between her and I? I already feel guilty enough not talking to my husband about it. I feel like he would feel threatened by it and not want me to hang out with her. And what if she didn't feel the same way? We wouldn't be friends anymore. If she did feel the same way, there's all that mess to deal with.

I am all over the place with this, I know... I just... Don't know what to do anymore. I have never cheated, and I have no intentions of doing so, but the way I feel sometimes... part of me is worried that if I was alone with her and had the opportunity, I might try to kiss her and then who knows what would happen from there. These are really confusing feelings and I don't know what to do with them!

Any advice, if there is even any to give here, would be greatly appreciated. Even just having a place just say it out loud is a relief. Thanks in advance.

2. Dasi200

Hi. I am trully sorry your are going through all this. It must be very difficult for you. why dont you try to talk to your husband about your sexuality first and see how is he with it. And go from there. And of course it would be good idea if you talk about this with her too afterwards. I know it is a hard step but you cant lose anything only get more. And like I know how it is to live in fear. Ill advice for you to choose a step forward.

3. crazymirrorofme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the response. There is actually so much I could lose by bringing this to light. And as I said, I have talked with him about my sexuality, he knew when we got together that I was attracted to women. Having been in a straight, monogamous relationship with him for the last 13 years - And his gf before me was of the opinion that it's not cheating if it's with the same sex (*eyeroll*) - I'm pretty sure he would be threatened by the idea of me having an active "crush" on a woman, especially someone I am good friends with. Hes insecure in this department and quite possessive (not in a douchebag kind of way but still). Also forgot to mention that she's recently become my boss so that doesn't help things (I needed a job, she was hiring - her being my boss was a bonus not the primary reason I applied).

I think for me what is most troubling is that the feelings I have are both difficult to define and not fading away as they have other times. I have always joked that I'm physically attracted to women but I couldn't imagine having a relationship with one... She is the first woman I have ever actually imagined being in a relationship with. But you have to keep in mind that, as I said, I am happily married with kids and she is also married (not so happily) with kids.

If I wasn't happily married, if I didn't truly love and have attraction for my husband, this would be a much simpler situation! If we were both available, I would persue her without hesitation.

4. crazymirrorofme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Can anyone suggest another site or forum where this may be more appropriate to post? I know I said I didn't know if there was any advice to be given here, but I was really hoping for something. Just wondering if this is the wrong place.

5. crazymirrorofme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    How do I delete this and my account?

6. crazymirrorofme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Bumping to see if anyone has any insight or advice on this? Anyone live with these kind of feelings kept entirely to yourself? I feel like I will probably end up taking it to my grave, which I hate the thought of, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I try to talk about it with anyone.

7. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This sounds like a really tough situation. I think you have to try hard to sort out your feelings and figure out what really matters to you. If you have no intention of ending your marriage or opening it up, then you have to find a way to deal with your feelings towards your friend. If not seeing her isn't an option, then try to remind yourself why you are better off staying with your husband, and focus on the good things. However, this is going to be really difficult, and I think you just need some time to see how this plays out.

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I can see why you are having trouble with this situation. You have my sympathy although I know that doesn't help.

From what you have written it sounds like what you are kind of asking is if there is anyway to make the feelings towards her subside. It sounds like you've previously spoken to your husband and he isn't the kind of person that would want an open relationship or want to get involved himself so considering you are happy with your relationship it doesn't seem to leave you many options.
    Due to the fact it would seem that even if she felt the same about you, you wouldn't be able to act on it to me it kind of feels counter intuitive to even begin to find out if she does. I feel like if she does then it's just going to much much harder for the both of you to prevent something happening.

Sadly I don't have any miracles to change your feelings but something that might help is writing down a list of negative points that she has. When we like someone we can often become blind to their bad points but sometimes writing them down can help us see them and this may help lessen the feelings you have for her.

I'm sorry I can't be any more help but I'm happy to listen if you want to talk.

9. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can relate so much to your situation, and it is amazing and so painfully difficult at the same time.
    What I can tell you is purely based on my experience.
    What you have is very special, a friendship with her. You are right about the fact that if you tell her how you feel you will most likely lose this friendship.
    Read my threads, I too was and still am in love, infatuated, whatever it may be, with another woman. It was difficult to deal with all my feelings and bear not being closer to her so I let her know how I felt. She didn't feel the same ( at least that's what she told me) and as much as I would have wanted to develop a friendship with her after that, it was simply not possible.
    I always feel a lot of tension, even though we don't speak. Maybe it is due to my feelings for her still.
    In any case, I wish I did not tell her and kept being in touch and became friends with her. I believe there are 2 reasons for my feelings for her. I find her attractive, and I truly appreciate her personality. Both are strong, so the later one may have been good enough to keep interaction going and eventually be happy and content.

So, you have something special. You have her, as your friend, and her time with you. So, don't lose it. This is just my advice: do not tell her how you feel. However if she seems to be tense, there is no reason to ask her about it. If she doesn't say much, I would not go any further. Give it time, time is on your side. I did not value giving patience, time, so lost probably a very good future friend. And, who knows what may have developed.

I told myself it is better to find out the truth, at least I don't have to wonder anymore. This is not the case, I still have very strong feelings for her, and it is very hard being married and experiencing this.

I know, there are so many questions, but trust me, they won't go away especially if you lose her friendship and communication with you.
    My advice, give it time and stay a good friend.
    I post on LGBT later in life. Welcome!

10. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally think you need to get yourself out of this situation. Being in love with or even strongly infatuated with someone else while you are married is not conducive to a happy marriage. Go find another job and get away from your trigger. Also no one is mentioning that she's your boss....so professing your attraction to your boss is not a good idea. If you stay in this situation you won't be able to stop thinking about it and eventually you'll go down the rabbit hole. You have two sets of husbands and kids to think about.

11. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Didn't read your second post in this thread. Yes, find another job. You working under her complicates everything, that is the first thing you need to do.