1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible....

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by afgirl, Mar 29, 2016.

1. afgirl

Okay, I'm learning all sorts of terms, including trigger crush. Anyway, I have heard this argument, and I'm sure there's a thread here (or maybe a hundred, who knows) that addresses it.

Do you think it's possible to be straight, and yet have a relationship with someone of the same gender? I mean, do you think it could have that much to do with the person and not necessarily the gender?

I have heard this is complete BS, and I know there are people who believe it's possible. I'd just like some input from people here.

2. killswitch0029

I've heard a few stories like that where it's been one particular person and not the gender as a whole. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible; sexuality is a pretty tricky thing to understand sometimes.

3. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never heard this term before, but to answer to the questions: Yeah I think it's possible and I think sometimes it's just all about the person and not so much the gender.
    Just some random thoughts to this: Hard to think of being with the gender you're not attracted to. Maybe the attraction comes with liking the person, or you have to be at least a bit attracted to the same gender...maybe when the relationship is over you find again someone of the same gender, eventually it's just the start of realizing that you're bi or gay and not so straight as always thought...or maybe it's really just the one person you're completely in love with and otherwise really not interested in the same gender at all. Who knows. When it comes to sexuality, relationships and human interaction nearly everything is likely to be a thing. It's all fluid and there are so man different things that are thinkable. Well...and now I stop this rambling xD
    I guess I have experienced something with a friend, that goes along with this expression.

4. afgirl

I think that is why it is so complicated. From the outside, it is so easy to compartmentalize everybody into a nice, neat category, but in reality there are so many shades of grey.

5. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly.
    Actually categories don't matter at all and we should just be happy with what we've got and enjoy it, but I unterstand that most people find it quite comfortable and relieving to put everything in categories and have definitions for everything. But often it aren't so much the outsiders who want to put people in categories, it are the people theirself. People feel good when they have their little category they fit in, their little box they feel safe in. So of course people try to unterstand all these terms and different views on sexuality...and that's never fully possible. But we can try it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Oh I'm rambling again and a bit off topic, sorry.

6. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it's possible.
    I am asking myself same thing sometimes and gut feeling tells me yes.

7. afgirl

I believe it's possible, too, but was just curious. I'd had a conversation regarding this issue and just wondered what people on this forum would say. Yes, I do see that people are obsessed with labels...and a lot of that is probably wasted energy.

8. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's possible for a lot of people to have someone who's an "exception to the rule". A straight person having feelings for one specific of the same gender is totally possible. There are definitely some people who are 100% straight or 100% gay, but there are also a lot of people who fit comfortable under the label straight or gay but can have an exception.