1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what makes someone truly gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by atomic dorito, Apr 5, 2016.

1. atomic dorito

Dorito here, what makes someone gay? i would like to believe we are born this way and discover it in our early teens or twenties, but i am looking for more reasons. what causes gayness? What makes a person deep down truly gay? please help i really want a good explanation to tell my dad because he thinks it's his fault or something:help:

2. StarInkbright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It hasn't been ever truly determined what make proper gay, but I think it's a mixture of genetics and environmental factors (including hormones you're exposed to in the womb . . . ) . . . there's no singular gene that makes someone gay, so it will occur due to a combination of genes. Also I'm pretty sure that if a boy is more likely to be gay if he has lots of older bothers.

Essentially, I don't really know, but I'm not sure anyone really does. In my opinion, it doesn't matter why it happened, either way it happened and it's not gonna change so we may as well accept it.

3. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A good neighbor if mine has two twin boys. One is gayer than gay and the other one is straight as a board. The parents are supportive of both of them. Why is one gay and the other not? Who the heck knows. You're not going to be able to give your dad an answer. But the real question is can he support you in a positive way?

4. marcelinevin

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "Although there continues to be controversy and uncertainty as to the genesis of the variety of human sexual orientations, there is no scientific evidence that abnormal parenting, sexual abuse, or other adverse life events influence sexual orientation." (Taken from here, a citation from wikipedia. I haven't read the rest so sorry if the link has bad information.)

Nobody knows why people are gay for sure as there isn't any evidence for any of the 'causes' people come up with. In my opinion, it's as normal to be gay as to be straight and both aren't impacted by parents or anything else like that. It's likely something to do with hormones and environmental impacts but that doesn't mean what it sounds like - it's nothing to do with bad parenting, science is clear about that. It's just life.

I would just tell him that this is you, this is who you want to be and nobody can change that. That it isn't his fault and there's nothing wrong with being gay. And try to work on him supporting you instead of finding a reason. I know this is better said then done, though. And other places on this forum and the internet can give you some advice on just how to try and reassure him, I'm sure. You're wonderful the way you are and I hope you work things out with your father.