1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can childhood abuse affect orientation?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by localobserver, Apr 5, 2016.

1. localobserver

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Boarding school from very young age due to crack/heroin addict mother, bullied and sexually abused twice by other males (not seriously) and general parental neglect as a child. Although my girlfriend and girls in general get me erect very easily I feel like I can't block out the presentness of males and male genitalia. Can anyone help me out? (Never done anything with guys btw.)

#1 localobserver, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    short answer, NO.

have you tried talking with a counselor/therapist who specializes in orintation and or child abuse survivors?

3. marcelinevin

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think that it is possible to go through sexual trauma that can give you complicated sexual feelings towards different people. I really understand what you're going through. Despite what intrusive thoughts you might get, you should be with and do what makes you feel happiest and what you want.

I agree with the above that you should consider exploring this further with a therapist. It might sound difficult but I think it could really help you understand what you're feeling better than anyone on here could. Best of luck. :slight_smile: