1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fear of intimacy with men, and orientation confused!!

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by summers131, Apr 7, 2016.

1. summers131

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi I'm new here and come for any thoughts or advice, all welcome!!

Ok, so.. I am a female aged 19 at university in England, and I have never been intimate or had a relationship with anyone in my life - I have never even kissed someone. All my life I have presumed I am straight, as I have had multiple crushes on boys at school and generally do feel some attraction to guys. However, intimacy with men scares me so much and is probably part of the reason for not even having a first kiss yet. I do not feel comfortable around guys and all of my friends are girls; every time I am around guys I am so self-conscious and self-aware of myself and my actions, and worried that my actions might make them think that I'm attracted to them, so I really can't relax enough to be proper friends with them - let alone kiss or be intimate with a guy! Although I do feel much more comfortable around unavailable men, gay men, and people who it's clear would have no attraction between us. I also can't imagine myself having a boyfriend.

Over the past year though I have started to think that I might not be entirely straight, but I'm confused. Every female in my life that I know is straight and I have never been attracted to anyone I know in person, except for one girl who was bisexual at school and I used to think about her a lot - but not the same degree as the other crushes at school. I do think about women sexually, and have had dreams about them for years which used to confuse me, whereas I don't really ever fantasise about being with guys. As I am so much more comfortable around women the thought of kissing and having sex with a woman doesn't scare me like the thought of that with a man does. All of the guys I have fancied over the years have given me butterfly feelings but I have not fantasised about them in a truly sexual way or anything - out of fear or uncomfortableness I don't know. The idea of going near someone's dick just makes me cringe, whereas I like the thought of sex with a woman.

I'm just so confused. I have anxiety, am an introverted person and hate any romantic/sexual attention (hence my inability to flirt!) and have the tendency in life to always take the easy route out because of overwhelming fear. I want to try dating apps to meet women (something I would never consider to meet men) but I'm worried that I just like the thought of dating a woman rather than a man because I'd be more comfortable and don't want to face my fears again.

:icon_sad: thoughts?? thanks! x

2. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, I don't feel you owe anyone anything in regards to your sexuality. You go with what feels comfortable to you. You are still so young, and hell if worse comes to worse, you can chalk it up to "sowing your wild oats". Enjoy the time you have as single and without children to fully explore your sexuality and just find what works for you. You don't have to fit someone else's mold, so whatever feels right to you is the right choice to make.
    I have a long history of trying to do what I thought was expected of me, and trust me, you are the only one who can make you happy and you owe nothing to anyone. I truly admire those who can embrace such ideas at an earlier age. Go with what works for you and enjoy the frivolities that youth allows you.

#2 angeluscrzy, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  3. Rhiannon666

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oh man, I just had to react to this. It sounds like we have the same issues and anxiety, and we're around the same age. Before 1.5 years ago, I had to idea I could be anything other than straight, and now I'm slowly trying to come to terms with possibly being bisexual or gay - even typing that gave me a massive anxiety spike though!

First of all: you're definitely not alone! The thought of (emotional) intimacy and any sex at all scares me to no end. However, everyone that's in a relationship has assured me that those things come and evolve completely naturally, and some people had the same fears before they started dating, but they faded once they finally felt comfortable with their partner. I know that knowing this is still not a solution, though. It is possible you're just afraid of intimacy with a man because you're not familiar with his, er, junk. Being with a woman seems slightly less threatening because at least I would know the basics of how the thing worked, right? :lol: I say 'seem', but I think it would be a bit uncomfortable with either sex, but I've been told that's normal when it's your first time.

If you say you never fantasise about men, do you only mean sexually? I know I daydream about my fav celebrities (the more unattainable the better, right?) in a romantic sense (cuddling, other relationship aspects), but once in a while those thoughts do turn sexual.

I'm also someone who has always avoided risks and has always tried to avoid my fears, but I'm working on it with CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) - maybe that could be an option for you as well? I guess the nhs repays some forms of therapy. I know for sure that I really want to change that aspect of me, because life is so much more than always being scared of everything! I think if I could tackle that part of me, everything else will go much smoother as well, and I guess I'd feel much better mentally. But I know that if you've had generalised anxiety from a young age, it's not easy to change.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to accomplish here, other than a mix between venting and (shitty) advice, but don't hesitate to ask anything, because we seem to be quite similar in terms of our experiences and personalities. (&&&)

4. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You said that ALL your friends were women. I personally think you need to make some male friends. Even if its just for friends. You need to be around men a little more so that you can feel comfortable around them. 50% of the population is male so you are going to have to find ways not to feel uncomfortable around them. You are still very young. There is no need to rush the sex thing. Work on developing a group of a variety of close friends. Even friends that might be different from your usual..if that makes any sense. Basically broaden your horizons. You can't live in a bubble. The less nerveous you are around all types of people will help you to decide who you are really attracted to.

5. summers131

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey, sorry this is a late reply but just wanted to say thanks for your reply, and i agree we definitely sound similar! it is a complete relief to hear from other people who feel the same as me, as compared to everyone i know i definitely feel like the odd one out!

I'm the same i feel anxiety just writing that i might be bisexual as it wasn't something i had thought would apply to myself for so long, even though there were signs that point towards it. Argh but even now still confused as ever haha.

How is the CBT working for you? I'd not heard of that before but it sounds like something that would probably help me! I'm not sure if you feel the same, but i find (whether its anxiety i don't know) that i have such fears of risks and taking chances that it stops me from doing things, even simple things now! Definitely worried that because of this i'm going to miss out on chances in life!

But hope it's going well for you though, and thanks for your message - felt a proper sense of relief reading it! :slight_smile:

(also who knows if this is how you reply on this forum sorry ahah)

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 08:36 PM ----------

hey! thanks for your reply, this sounds weird but it's such a feeling of relief for someone to tell me it doesn't matter because i'm young haha! i agree, just i sometimes feel like i should hurry up and do all these things because of pressure from friends! thanks though, definitely going to just try do what makes me happy, and not what i think is expected of me!

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 08:40 PM ----------

hey thanks for your message. Agreed i definitely feel i need to make some better male friends, I do have some male friends as i went to a mixed school but i'm not that close with them. i think it doesn't help i went to the same school for 18 years, then ended up in an all female flat for my first year at uni, so all my close friends are naturally female. and so i am most comfortable around women! but your advice is very helpful, im definitely trying to broaden my friendship circle by taking chances at the moment by joining societies and things, and getting a new job for the summer! thanks for confidence boost :slight_smile:

6. JYPCLV

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am a guy who didn't kiss the first time until I was 24! I was always attracted to girls, but too awkward to act on my attraction. Once I did start to date, I enjoyed physical intimacy up to a point, but recoiled at intercourse, mainly because of potential consequences. Then I slowly, with great difficulty I might add, backed away from intimacy, discovering that what I enjoyed most was long conversations, extended hand holding and embracing, and romantic settings. Gradually I thought that I might be gay, but started to feel like maybe I was more of a gay female. How about that for confusion. I feel uncomfortable with straight women. Maybe intimidated as a gentle soul, but straight acting. I have been questioning for over a decade, but I started to question actually two decades ago, when a girlfriend rather impishly caressed my chest. I immediately liked it as a female. She kept watching my stifled reaction with a grin and kept doing it. I made her stop, pushed it to the back of my mind, trying to forget it. Over time two other women did the same. My reaction and thoughts of being a female as they did it really got me to call a halt to dating. This forum really is therapeutic, because where else would I be able to unburden? Add to the mix. feelings that I relatively. recently had for men, all gay except one, who approached me, and you can see how complexity can unfold. For me, celibacy has been the best, fairest policy. But I still enjoy life, probably lessening greatly it's complications.

7. BookWriter1994

somewhat in a same boat as well! I've always have this fear being intimate with a male because I had never experienced that before and to be quite honest I wanted to kiss a guy who I was best friends with because we liked each other and he was going away for basic training and I almost kissed him. For some reason I did not kiss him and sometimes I asked myself why did I stopped but no answer yet.

I believe that there's a chance for me to be in a relationship with a woman more than a man. I know that sounds really weird but it's true. I mean, sure maybe one day there will be a man that will sweep off my feet but honestly my attraction is women right now so I guess you can say that I am bisexual with a preference for women.

8. Rhiannon666

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The CBT is helping, but of course you first have to decide you're willing to change. I've been pushing myself to go out more lately bc my therapist said it'd be good for me, and I've been feeling a lot better. I realised there's a whole lot of people who genuinly like me for who I am, and just knowing that makes me feel less anxious. It sounds ridiculous, but my mantra really is YOLO:lol: - bc if I don't keep that in mind, I wouldn't try anything at all! I still recoil when I have to drive or talk on the phone, but it's been getting better. Also, it's really nice to have somebody to talk to every week, bc I don't need to hold back at all.

If you ever have a more specific question or something, don't hesitate to PM me! :slight_smile: