1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The pressure to be openminded

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Vav, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

When I was fourteen I originally came out as gay. I was a bit hesitant because I didn't quite feel full sexual attraction yet. People kept telling me that I was too young to know and a bunch of other shit. Right now people somewhat accept my queerness, but they still tell me I should be open minded. They basically want me to try things with both genders. I don't really feel like it. Whenever I see good looking men I question whether I'm into them or not. How can I stop feeling pressured to be openminded and just say no to men.

2. Inky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The fact is, you've come across this conclusion about your sexuality AFTER you've been open-minded. When others tell you to be "open-minded" they're undermining your own ability to discern your own feelings and basically saying they don't matter because "you don't know" or apparently because they know more about you than your own self. Listen to your own self, your inner voice, your body. The answer will always be there and no one else in this world could tell you how to feel.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your sexuality is your business. If you have no interest in "trying things with both genders", then you should feel no obligation to do so.

Sometimes you can shut people up by saying "OK, then, what's good for me is good for you. I think you should also try both genders. Have you done that? "