1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If your spouse comes out as transexual

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Hats, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry if I phrase this question badly, but I have to ask:

Say you're a straight girl married to a man, and then after a few years your husband comes out as mtf trans, does that mean you're not straight after all?

To be clear, this isn't something that's happened to me personally, it's just a question that's grown in my mind from reading a bunch of threads where this scenario happened.

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_doh:It depends on the couple. I know of say a lesbian couple where one of them comes out as FTM and the other identifies as solely gay - they work it out themselves whether they stay identifying as a lesbian or their sexuality changes. Its all down to the individuals preference and how comfortable the trans partner is about the identity.

Personally I think that their sexuality changes but that's just me. Its different for everyone.

#2 Aberrance, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  3. Lipstick Leuger

No, it does not change your orientation. Unless you wish to identify as something different. Your orientation does not change because someone you love changes their gender identity. You are simply a straight woman who loves a trans woman.

This did happen to me, twice. I had feelings for women before getting married to my ex, who was a trans woman(still gendered male). I had previously identified at Bi. I discovered that I was attracted to female masculinity so I used Queer Femme. Now, my wife identifies as Trans masculine, but I still identify as Queer Femme, because it just fits. My sexuality did not change at all.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. The person can choose to change their label if they wish, but the woman was attracted to her spouse before she came out, so she was attracted to / fell in love with someone she believed to be a man. Some people are able to stay with their spouses and keep loving them after they come out because they are in love with that specific person regardless of their gender, but they would still not be attracted to other people of that gender. The spouse could be considered an exception to the wife's sexuality (personally I'd feel uncomfortable if I were to date a lesbian who would not acknowledge my gender enough to refer to me as an exception to her sexuality, but I wouldn't force her to stop identifying as a lesbian).