1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In a Constant State of Self-Doubt

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Gunsmoke, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello!

So, I'm an 18 year old girl and for the last couple of years or so I've identified as bisexual, although I'm not entirely sure how accurate the label is. Before I really get into this, I'd just like to state that I've never dated or even kissed anyone, because I am too anti-social to be in a relationship (I'm kind of shy around new people, and I wouldn't want to date any of the people that I already know) and have never been in the sort of situation where I would kiss someone.

Anyway, I didn't realise that I was bisexual until I was sixteen, and maybe this is due to the heteronormative (and sometimes homophobic) society in which I live, where if you weren't straight and cisgendered then you were ignored - at least when I was growing up. I haven't known since birth or whatever, which kind of makes me doubt myself?

I never see people and think "hot damn, 10/10, would bang" or "would date", at least, not as soon as I meet them - not to say that I'm not attracted to them, but it's nothing beyond "oooh, they're pretty and kind of hot", you know? Although I am attracted to boys and girls, I'm more interested in girls. I'm not particularly interested in sex (although I believe that I would be if I actually HAD a partner, the thing is, I don't) and the most I've ever fantasised about was kissing. My entire life, I have only ever had two serious crushes: one on a guy, when I was younger, and one on a girl that started about a year ago, I believe? (I still like her even though she has a boyfriend now, oops.)

I know there's this whole culture about rejecting labels, but god, I beg you, please try and help me because I absolutely hate this confusion. Personally, I'd rather that my sexual orientation was labelled because then I would find it easier to identify myself.

To anyone who actually read this whole post: thanks!

- EmeraldEyes

2. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi :slight_smile: I dont know if I can help you but I wanted to say that I can relate.
    Ideally I would have someone tell me what I am and give me the label that is right so I can identify myself. People on here have said they think I am gay, which does help to an extent but not fully.

It has also taken me a while to realise things, and I feel like my clues aren't particularly strong. I wish that if I was gay (which I now accept as likely), it would feel certain and have been obvious all along without so much confusion.

What were the differences the feelings that the 2 crushes provoked?

3. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, same here. I know that labels aren't really necessary, but I'm one of those people who wants to put a name to everything, you know?
    Exactly! The confusion just makes it so much more difficult to be sure...

Well, the first one was more of a childhood crush, really, so, you know - you want to get married when you're older and you're idealistic about everything. In hindsight, it probably wasn't really a romantic crush at all seeing as I was about eight/nine. The second one was more based on intimacy I guess? I just really wanted to be closer to her and kiss her and, well, have a relationship I guess? I'm sorry, I'm not good at describing things at all! But with her, I always got really jealous of the boy she liked (the one she ended up with) and even though she could be kind of possessive of me - well, this is strange but I kind of liked it in an odd way? I'd get annoyed about it, because she could be controlling sometimes, but maybe I was only annoyed because I knew I should be, haha.

Anyway... Because I so rarely get crushes on anybody, I'm starting to wonder if maybe part of it is just me latching on to anyone who pays attention to me? I mean, that's probably not it at all but I get a little paranoid.

Thanks so much for talking to me about this! And if I can do anything for you then please just say so :slight_smile: