1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does SEXUAL attraction feel like?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by SubZero, Apr 24, 2016.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Probably a weird question to ask, but what exactly is meant by sexual attraction? Is it ALWAYS the desire to have sex with someone?

I'm a little confused because I don't usually desire to have sex with people. Sex rarely comes to my mind, especially when I'm out in public. If I see a hot guy, I will think that he is attractive, but I rarely think about doing sexual things with that person. Does that still count as sexual attraction?

On a side note, I get aroused and am attracted to males, generally. Looking at attractive men can get me a boner sometimes. Are those signs that I'm gay even though sex isn't on my mind, per say?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know the feeling. I feel that sex appeal is a tad over hyped. I can't really say that I thought of having sex with many people tbh.

But instances where, on the bus for example, if I see an attractive guy it's kinda difficult not to keep looking at him or stare. Or if an attractive guy sits beside me, I feel a bit awkward/nervous and start to wondering if I'm breathing a normal amount lol :lol:

I think sexual attraction is more than just thinking about sleeping with hot guys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#2 HM03, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  3. sailornaruto39

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sexual attraction means to want to not just find someone good looking, but to want to have sex with them or aroused mentally and/pr physically at the mere site of them.

So TLDR:

"Are those signs that I'm gay even though sex isn't on my mind"

yes

"if I see a hot guy, I will think that he is attractive, but I rarely think about doing sexual things with that person. Does that still count as sexual attraction?"

Nope, that's just recognition of beauty.

4. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you both for the clarification! Makes better sense :slight_smile:

5. sailornaruto39

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Glad to help ;D

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting. I'm the same way. I can definitely feel attraction and recognize beauty (particularly in males) but never think about sex - unless by conscious effort - or even desire it at all. I've often wondered what qualifies "sexual" attraction.

But I've heard conflicting views on this. Some say just feeling attraction to someone means you are ____sexual. I basically identify as ace regardless though, since I don't think calling myself "sexual" is accurate because I don't want it, you know?

I think labels largely depend on two things: their intended purpose, and how it subjectively describes the person ascribing to it. If you're comfortable identifying as gay and you're using the term right (as in, on some level you like the same sex) then I don't see a problem. If you think asexual better describes you, then do that one. Labels exist to inform, so use the most informative ones.

7. sailornaruto39

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Wouldn't what qualifies as sexual attraction be something that involves sexual feelings or desires? Like wanting to have sex with them?

Also I love you comment about labels. I was afraid you were going to say 'I think labels are so fuck them"

8. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what I would have thought. Thus the separation between a "sensual" and "sexual" type of attraction, in my mind. On one hand you have an appreciation for the physical beauty of a human being in a non-sexual way, which is something everyone - ace or not - can experience. For example, most straight men would agree that Michelangelo's David is beautiful, yet they obviously aren't going to get a boner over it, you know?

In this sense you could be attracted, per se, to someone without feeling sexual desire. You could recognize and appreciate beauty, be enthralled by the personality, have a deep emotional bond with, and "love" someone in every sense but a sexual one. It is in essence a deep form of friendship. This is why I don't really agree with the notion, anymore, of a separate romantic and sexual attraction. Because when you think about it, what is the different between friendship and romance? Only the introduction of sexual aspects.

I digress.

Yes I think that true "sexual" attraction means desiring things of a sexual nature (which includes romance). If you have no such desires, then you are asexual.

#8 Kodo, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  9. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel like it happens when they're specific parts of them you can't stop looking at... and you sort of want to touch. And you feel a little bit overwhelmed. I never directly think abut sex unless I've decided to.