1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's preventing me from identifying as a lesbian

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Emily Janina, May 10, 2016.

1. Emily Janina

Emily Janina Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I haven't had any experience at all. Mostly because the only people I've liked were both teachers (both female). I dismissed those crushes at the time, and continued my adolescence assuming I was definitely straight - especially since the school I went to was more homophobic than other schools and nobody was 'out'. All of the girls I hung out with were always lusting after boys and making silly sexual jokes involving themselves + a guy. Despite joining in this boy talk, I always didn't really understand why they cared so much. And the same goes for my sister and cousin(who I'd hang around with a lot whenever we met up,) and both being slightly older than me, they got to the age where they could talk about boys for literally hours and I had no idea how they could do it. I could appreciate a good-looking guy, but that was it. I've never felt like I wanted to get close to a guy, real or famous or fictional. But some women, yes.

Yet I hear gay women talk about how they're attracted to pretty women, boobs etc. but I don't get it. I can't look at a girl and think 'yes' because I absolutely HAVE to understand more about them before I can be attracted to them in any way. Appearance does factor into the equation - because I'm into women on the more feminine side - but they also need to be intelligent, funny and extroverted (probably because I'm so introverted and admittedly their enthusiasm is such a turn on). Attraction seems to happen very slowly and I don't think I've met anyone else like this.
    How common is this? Or is it just my inexperience making it difficult for me to appreciate women fully?

#1 Emily Janina, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

There is nothing in this world, or anywhere else that can tell you how to identify. Only you. You are the mistress of your own destiny. Do as you will, be as you will. All anyone can ask is don't hurt others.

Besides that? Just let yourself BE.

3. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Emily, you and I are exactly alike when it comes to our attraction to women.

I'm 33, married to a man, and just recently identified myself as being bisexual. It's confusing as heck.

4. sapphiresky

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm the exact same way. For me, I can only be attracted to women when I feel emotionally connected with them. I can see the beauty in other women and think that they're pretty, but I'm never attracted to anyone right off. My attraction grows slowly, kind of like a tree.

5. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think what you're experiencing is more common than you think. I'm not attracted to women until I've really gotten to know them. And while looks do factor in its more sparkling charm and whit that really push me over the top. And once I am attracted to a woman that attraction is much more intense than I've ever experienced for a man.

#5 OutofZCloset, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  6. cakepiecookie

I think it's very normal. I've heard lots of people say the same thing. Once in a blue moon, I'll get butterflies the moment I meet someone, but 99% of the time it takes me a while to form attractions. I mean, I can look at a woman and think "she's hot/cute/my type", but actual attraction is something that happens once I get to know someone.

7. Emily Janina

Emily Janina Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks this is all very helpful :slight_smile: