1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was my homosexuality latent? As in "Latent Homosexuality?"

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Benway, May 16, 2016.

1. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm just curious about this, it took years for my sexuality to develop, and it seemed to start towards the end of my years in high school. Prior to that, I never really thought about being gay or worried about being gay or whatever. Now, this is the definition of latent according to Google:

...and if sexuality is biological, which I think more than most of the members on here agree it is, we could also be speaking of latent homosexuality in the biological sense, so here's the biological definition of "latent":

I've never really sat down and examined this until this morning. I know I spent years fighting my sexuality, but it seems these days more and more kids are coming out as gay earlier and earlier, I'm talking as young as six (which is beyond me, but I don't want to get into a subject completely outside my comprehension) or ten. Anyway, my sexuality seemed to begin to manifest itself around the time I was eighteen. I'd say it was hardwired into me by the time I was nineteen. And as you all know I fought it for ten years until the age of 28 when I finally gave in and had sex with another man.

But my question is, was my sexuality latent? Is latent homosexuality even still considered to be a thing? Was it ever a thing taken seriously within the gay community? If yes, tell me about it, if no, tell me why. You hear the term 'latent homosexual' thrown around in pop culture without explanation, whether as part of something a character is stating or as part of a joke, but I never knew what it meant until I examined the two words separately, this morning.

2. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just think it is something that's always been there. The only difference being when we are able to acknowledge it. Fooled around with a male friend at a young age and as much as I enjoyed it, I was filled with guilt over it. But that being due to what I perceived of social norms and others expectations of me. Looking back tho, I can see now my most effortless attractions have been towards guys. And as much as I tried to repress everything thru the years, once allowing myself to think about guys in a sexual way, that those thoughts excite me more than any girl ever has. I've gone off a little sideways, but anyhow......
    I don't think "latent" is an appropriate term. Because to me, I think it implies simple inactivity. For a lot of us, outside pressures and the ways we we raised gave us reason to seek the refuge of the closet. Sometimes, us being too young yet to realize we even stepped in.
    I think as kids these days face a bit less judgement, and attitudes have shifted quite a lot, that kids are able to just flourish and become who they were just meant to be. I'm at work so can't think completely clearly, so hope that makes some sense.

3. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    See, I don't, haven't ever and won't ever buy into the 'born that way,' thing. Some people are, but I don't think all LGBTQ people are 'born that way,' I think there is a percentage where it develops through some other means. Now that it's more commonplace, I think a lot of non-gay people are identifying as LGBTQ because it's the cool thing to do, because it's rebellious, etcetera.

As for the latent thing, It was inactive. Or rather I was inactive as far as not going through with acting upon my homosexual desires. I fought it for ten years, until I finally broke and engaged in homosexual intercourse. Now, the desires are still there but I no longer really feel the need to engage in them. I'm not sure if that makes me bisexual or whatever you want to call it, but I no longer feel any sexual drive to go out and have sex other than masturbation. But for ten years of fighting it and two hours of homosexual intercourse I feel like all I did was give myself something I needed once and never again.

But more in your languages of what I'm asking is if I wasn't identifying as such prior to having homosexual desire did my sexuality exist? If so, why? I honestly don't think it did. I believe my sexuality was formed through a series of abusive, non-sexual, highly manipulative incidents as well as some other means that you'd probably call me crazy for. But why did it develop so suddenly when I was in high school? Like it wasn't there one moment then the next moment it was?

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The origin of homosexuality really isn't in dispute any more: it's widely recognized that nothing can happen that will "make" anyone gay, nor can anything happen that can take someone gay and make them straight. In that way, it is something that occurs before birth and there may or may not be very early childhood (before age 5) factors that cause it to express more directly. The only people that question that are the religious crazies.

It's also safe to say that many gay people are "latent" at some point in their lives; they either don't think about it, or are in denial about it, but it is still a part of them even if they aren't aware. So the whole 'latency' argument is, for the most part, sort of pointless (and, from a psychotherapeutic perspective) somewhat dated, in that we know that one's awareness of sexual arousal/attraction often postdates the traits and behaviors that go along with whatever the sexual orientation is.

There is, as I've said many times before, no evidence that any incidents, abuses, molestations, or anything else have any impact on sexual orientation other than, perhaps to make some individuals aware of it at an earlier time in life.

As to why it develops suddenly in high school... that's an experience that quite a few people have. Some people, prior to puberty, have no clue what their sexual attractions/orientation is, and some people, even after puberty, take some time to figure it out. That's actually pretty common.

5. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I still don't buy into the idea that I've always been this way. According to my therapist I might have some sort of "ego dystonic sexual identity disorder," here's a link to that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego-dystonic_sexual_orientation I'd say that's pretty accurate. I hate my orientation, or rather, the fact that I succumbed to my orientation would like a do-over on that, but we all know there are no do-overs.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Ego dystonia" is a criteria that must exist for diagnosis with almost any mental health disorder. Basically, it means you aren't comfortable accepting who you are. So "ego dystonic sexual identity disorder" essentially means you are gay (or whatever) but aren't comfortable accepting that identity. It has nothing to do with when your sexual identity (or awareness of it) developed.

You don't need to buy into the idea that you've always been that way, but... most likely, the sooner you do, the sooner you'll find it easy to accept yourself.

It sounds like you're doing good work in therapy. It isn't easy, and there's a lot to work through, much of which will likely be uncomfortable, painful, and probably bring up a lot of emotion. But I think you'll find that after a few months, you'll be feeling pretty different and have a much more positive outlook. :slight_smile: