1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really like the idea of staying/being single. What about you?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Loppox, May 23, 2016.

1. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey guys,

I wanted to ask you guys something: What are your thoughts on being single? Do you like it or not?

Because I love to be single. Maybe it's because I've never been in an actual relationship, but what I've seen and heard so far...

It's just so drama-free. I would hate it if I were in a relationship with someone whom I love and then, suddenly, lose interest or do not feel attracted to them anymore. I would not want to hurt anyone like that or vice versa.

So, I just stay single. I love it. I can do whatever I want and It feels like I'm in this invulnerable position: I am not commited to someone and when you are openly in love you are very, very vulnurable as a person.

But what do you guys think?

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with being single. And I loved being on my own, I got the freedom to do whatever I wanted.

Being with someone you love makes it so much better, though.

3. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I would ever be single for long...it's not in me. That said, I've also come to realize that I should never enter into another monogamous relationship, too. Another solid, firm, stable, close, committed relationship, absolutely...just not another monogamous one.

4. CameOutSwinging

I've been in relationships my entire adult life. I was with a girl from 21-28 and shortly after we broke up, like maybe three months, I was back in a new relationship, which I am still in (well, we're separating, but still). So I've never really been single for long. It leaves me feeling paradoxically. On the one hand, it makes me long for a little bit of independence and freedom that you get out of being single, which I've not really experienced. On the other hand, I like being in relationships and having somebody to cuddle with and have an emotional bond with.

Part of me thinks I almost need to be single for awhile.

5. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Single is definately easier, but I get a lot of emotional fullfilment from being in a long term relationship. It is a lot of work to maintain and very difficult to constantly keep the relationship fresh but I think it is worth it. I like the stability and emotional support. Long term relationships are not for everbody.

6. A Mindful Wolf

Being single is all well and good until you fall for someone you can't have, at least in my experience ^^. Every time you see them with their significant other you just get crushed and reminded that it's not you who'll be cuddled up next to them tonight, or even more lewd imaginings that are equally as crushing. The nights go pretty slow when you're single and in this situation.

7. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have (pretty much) been single my whole life, and fairly content. I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I do care that other people think it's weird, though. And it's tough when I find myself surrounded by couples.

I would love to fall in love, but at the moment I can't imagine how I'll meet someone. If/when I get into a relationship, I am going to try to keep my freedom.

8. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had exactly one girlfriend, it lasted for a month, and it wasn't really a "proper" relationship, so I've been single for practically my entire life. Personally, I think I'd like a partner due to personal reasons, but I'm in no state to be in a relationship at the moment.

9. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's okay. While it'd be nice to have a bf, I'm fine with being single. I know I have things to work on before I get into a relationship.

10. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I was single until my first girlfriend at 28. I did what I wished, but in my case it was nice to be in that relationship. We ended up being married for 14 years, until I came out that is.

11. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know this feeling very well haha. So desperate, jfc. The nights indeed go slow, but then again when you've not confessed your feelings towards that person or anyone else, I felt so in control of myself or something. I knew it would not work out, so I would not tell her and restrained myself from outing that I felt something towards her (something.... big). It felt like I had this secret and did not put my vulnurable side of my out into the world (something I always did, I was very naive) thus it felt like I was in control.

But your heart gets crushed man, hard. Very, very hard :')

12. Butterfly2016

Personally, in my experience, being married is just too much for me. I feel tied down. Not just by the fact that I'm kinda stuck right now, but just the fact that I have report almost everything to him. We call each other all the time. Its just annoying. I like the idea of answering only to myself. So if I were single...I would date, but I wouldn't want anything super serious..at least not for a long time.

13. Spiderstalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    this is a nice explanation of the pro's of being single, i only have to add that i totally agree with the author of the post, i like being single for the exact same reasons

14. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i've been single my whole life i absolutely couldn't get myself into a relationship with a guy i thought i just wanted to be free but that's not true i just wasn't into them...i have no problem being single though but i would love to get into a relationship with a girl.. i think it's time to try what it's like to be in a relationship!

15. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've never been in a relationship of any sort. Sometimes I think it might be nice to have a boyfriend...and I frequently daydream about just having someone to cuddle up with.''

But I'm totally ok with being single, and when it comes down to it, I know with the way I am no good at social interaction, meeting/keeping/etc friends.. and just in general unfriendable/unloveable... its also best that I stay single aswell

16. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like being single for the fact that I have nobody to answer to really. But above all, having come out of an LTR, the idea of opening myself up to someone new, and being vulnerable, is kinda terrifying.

17. JYPCLV

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have chosen a single life I think for altruistic reasons. I learned over time that I had the potential to be a very sexual person with girls. For some reason, I attracted similar women, women who on the surface looked very conservative, but. who actually hyper sexual. I only started dating in my early twenties. I did some occasional heavy making out sessions, which became almost addictive. I progressed to the point of actual intercourse, but I just couldn't do it. I am very empathetic and sensitive. I felt that my pleasure was not worth risking pregnancy or hurting my partner's future self esteem. This was somebody's daughter and sister. I felt responsible for her and that I had to exercise good judgement in our mutual moment of passionate weakness.

So, I never crossed that line. I am now middle aged, and never crossed that line, even though, strangely enough, the more that I resolved not to, the more opportunities presented themselves. For a time, I compromised by treating myself to occasionally indulging in upper body only physicality. Gradually, over time and with a lot of conscious self discipline I avoided this as well. I felt that these actions created pleasure bonds and conveyed commitment that I was not ready to make, so that I actually was using women.

Weirdly, after this phase, other types of opportunities bombarded me, again without me seeking them. Lesbians, gay men, and transgendered people expressed interest. I found deep down that I was excited and flattered, and realized that I had a bi-fem side to my relationships with straight women. I thought that in a world. with no consequences, I'd probably be pan.

At this point, I made a big decision. The world, I told myself, indeed has consequences. If I indulged myself, I'd end up being a destructive force. I might engage in adultery and break up a marriage. I might get somebody pregnant. I might pick up an STD and then transmit it. It might be a deadly one. Then, I'd be sucking up social resources that could have been devoted to curing cancer or feeding the hungry. All for my pleasure.

I therefore opted for celibacy. When. I did, I really became socially productive. True, there sometimes is loneliness, but I have great inner peace and joy.

I always wondered if I had done the right thing. I believe so. I had a potentially lethal combination of strong, multidimensional sexuality, but no desire to have a family. This is what I had to conquer in my race course of life. It is an ongoing battle, but one worth waging.

In short, being single can lead to a most fruitful life.