1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer as a lable?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by 1ring, May 29, 2016.

1. 1ring

I know everyone says that you should lable yourself with whatever you feel comfortable with so I was wondering if queer is used as a lable. The definition of queer is that its an umbrella term for basically everything lgbt so does that mean it cant be used as a lable?

I personally have no idea what the legitimate lable of my sexuality is, all I know is that it's not straight, so I was wondering if theres a word, like queer, that can describe that I'm lgbt but without defining my sexuality at the same time?

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Queer can definitely be used as a sexual orientation label. For the most part, it pretty much means "not straight" or something in between, which seems like it might be fitting for you.

3. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I used queer as a label for a while when I was still questioning, and since there are terms such as genderqueer and queer theory, I think it's okay as long as it isn't used to insult people and as long as the person involved is okay with it.

4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use "queer" less as a "label" than as an adjective to describe myself when my specific sexuality it less relevant than the fact that I'm not straight, much like I would use the word "person" rather than, say, "woman", as a noun to describe myself in contexts when my sex isn't as important as the fact that I'm...um...not a plant or a rock? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#4 biAnnika, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  5. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Queer is a label wether for sexuality or being genderqueer

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use queer as a label, as much as a descriptive as taking the word back from the haters and the ignorant. so yeah, it can defiantly be used as a label.

7. A Seraphim Moon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The true definition of Queer is 'odd, strange, different' As far as for being a label that has been recent terminology. Think about the pledge of allegiance, "Under God" was added in the 1950's and religion itself, according to the constitution, was something of fiction or made up! ^_^

So, think about that for a second. How do you feel? I don't like using it as a label, but I am odd. So, if someone says it to me "Why thank you for noticing my strange ways!" I write, I can't see it as something different. My mind doesn't grasp that it is a label. I know that it is, but usually my mind flops it when I see it. So, for me, instead of seeing 'queer' I see 'gay' or just person or individual. ~_^ Why label? haha

8. smurf

There is a culture divide when it comes to queer.

Most older LGBT people do not like it for various reasons.

Younger LGBT people use it often to mean "not straight". Its just a vague term that is really useful for making it your own.

9. Comet

I agree with Smurf on the divide, it was used as a very derogatory slur against older LGBT people when they were younger, but now the new generation of LGBT youth is reclaiming the word.

That being said, I used it as a "placeholder" in my head for when I was questioning, but I scarcely said it out loud, as I wasn't out yet, and I personally didn't want to come out until I was entirely sure in my sexuallity. I feel like you could 100% use it as a label if you don't fit into a more specific label, but you should remain aware of who you say it to, as some may find it offensive.

10. Silver Sparrow

Queer is definitely used as a label. It can be an umbrella term or an individual label. Like those above have said, queer is a term that is being reclaimed by some people. It used to be most common in use as a slur, and is still used today as a slur sometimes. It's fine to apply it to you, but a lot of people don't want it applied to them or only want specific people to use it.

11. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Queer means "not straight", yeah. However, unfortunately, this label has been, how to say... misunderstood a lot in society, both among the gay community and the het-cis cluster as meaning "gay". I think this is very unfortunate. I would be interested in reclaiming it in its entirety, but... I haven't the energy for it right now, I feel.