1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if I don't act lesbian?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Rose6206, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Rose6206

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm thirteen and I know that I am definitely lesbian. I have been attracted to girls but never to boys. But in the eighth grade world where half the girls are dating boys I feel really out of place. I want to come out in high school but I'm afraid that I won't be accepted or something because I don't "act like a lesbian." I feel like I have to fit the lesbian stereotypes. But I honestly don't want to act like a boy or have a certain sense of style. I was born female, and even if I am attracted to other females I still want to look and act feminine. So I wonder if the fact that I'm not into part of the lesbian "culture" will get in the way of coming out and finding a girlfriend?
    Thanks! <3

2. mirkku

Hello!
    Well, in high school I had this very girly girlfriend, who was 100% lesbian, wearing the cutest dresses all the time... and I was quite fond of dresses myself. :wink: Sickening cute, that's what we were. (We're still friends, been a few years.)
    If people tell you "but you don't look like a lesbian", just tell them "so... i don't look like a person?", because really, what does a lesbian even look like? Cliches are dying slowly, but it's not always the case, so you might have to educate a few about that. As for whether it will get in the way of you finding a girlfriend, I do not see it happening really. Your future girlfriend(s) themselves might be very feminine! =)
    Good luck~

3. LoyalGryffindor

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it's totally fine! We have this idea of what lesbians look like and how they act, but they are just as diverse a group as straight people or any other sexuality. I know of lots of lesbian Youtubers who are feminine, or somewhere in the middle.
    I am not yet sure of my sexuality, although I'm kinda leaning towards lesbian. And I know I've often felt like I can't be lesbian because I hate sports. But that's absolutely not the case.
    And I'll add that I personally am more attracted to feminine women...so I'm sure that you could find someone: )
    Good luck!

#3 LoyalGryffindor, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If anyone gives you hell, they aren't worth your time. Be yourself because there's no one way to be a lesbian.

5. Rose6206

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks so much everyone! I wasn't sure if it would be a problem for me, but I feel more confident now that I'll be ok :slight_smile:

6. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems like many lesbians are attracted to feminine women. You'll be fine, just be yourself.