1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mind states and their effect on sexuality

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by thinkreal93, Jun 16, 2016.

1. thinkreal93

Hey everyone. So lately, I've been thinking about an interesting topic - states of the mind. Our mind is shaped by what we experience & perceive. Some things it overlooks, and other things it processes.

They say that when we begin to hang around a group, we begin to think like them. Feel like them. It's the mind's way of conforming & adapting. Also, the mind has it's own predispositions/tendencies which can vary with time. I was wondering what effects & implications this conforming ability the mind has on our sexualities.

For example, some boys are pretty feminine in childhood. But later on, hanging around with other boys, and understanding how they generally are, they begin to think like them & feel like them. More masculine, that is. Their states of mind have changed due to it's conforming behaviour.
    I began thinking if I hang around more with my guy friends who talk about hot girls too often, I would begin to think like them & feel like them & my mind would respond to girls in a sexual manner. I have experienced this already. I find myself looking at girls sexually. I'm able to fantasize about girls. It seems appealing too. I feel like if I follow down this path I would be no different than a straight guy. And that's scary. I don't want to be separated from my gayness. I don't want to be estranged from the hotness of guys :tears: :icon_sad:

I've noticed that recently my mind seems to be pretty elastic.

What do you guys think ? Do you think change of states of mind can lead you to start thinking differently with regard to sexual orientation or sexuality in general ?
    Or do you think this mind-moulding technique will only work so far until it gives way to your natural tendencies ?
    Also please comment on what you would say my sexual orientation/sexuality is with respect to the above info.

2. avenuequeues

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think you make a good point that it is easy to be influenced by others, but I would say from the perspective of realising your sexuality, it is more likely that being around others would make you realise your true sexuality than give you a new one.

Being attracted to girls is nothing to be afraid of. If you feel that you would actually like to be with a girl, and this is not just a fantasy, I would say give it a go and see how you feel. If you like it but are still attracted to guys, then you are bi or pan depending on how you label yourself and you can still be part of the LGBT community and have that as part of your identity, if that's what you're worried about. If you're attracted to guys, that makes you different from a straight guy, regardless of whether or not you are also attracted to girls.