1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were you previously homophobic before realising your orientation?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Canterpiece, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I was. I had some negative misconceptions, and even stopped following certain celebrities when they did anything I deemed to be gay.

Two music videos spring to mind instantly. Avril Lavigne's "Rock N Roll" and LMFAO's "Party rock anthem".

I remember watching Avril Lavigne's "Rock N Roll" the music video to that, and I remember thinking "Don't kiss, don't kiss, don't kiss, don't...dammit".

[YOUTUBE]uuNTO31FlY8[/YOUTUBE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuNTO31FlY8

(Be warned, explicit language and all).

2:47 for the kiss btw.

It was released in 2013. So I was around 13 to 14 years old when this song came out, and I started questioning about 12 and a bit/ 13 years old. So at this point I was still working with some internalised issues.

Party rock anthem was realised in 2011, two years before the song above. It was quite big in 2011, and in 2012 too or so I remember. So when this song came out I was about 11 to 12 years old. I remember feeling really annoyed at the woman at 4:25. Like "how dare you..be attractive". :grin: Lol, I was weird, but it's how I felt at the time. I remember that I used to skip over that bit, or sometimes just walk out the room. Must've looked weird of me.

[YOUTUBE]KQ6zr6kCPj8[/YOUTUBE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6zr6kCPj8

(Same warning as before).

So...were you? Do you avoid any songs on purpose because of this? Should I go to sleep now? Eh, probably for that last one. :sleep:

#1 Canterpiece, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. I thought it was kinda "weird", but I wasn't a raging homophobe.

3. guitar

I suppose in little pockets I might have been homophobic, but I've never "feared" gay people, and as far as I can remember I've always been pro-gay marriage. I was all for it when Canada was talking about legalizing it a decade ago. Whether I talked down something being "gay" to appear cool, I suppose I probably have at some point, but I really can't remember any specific instances.

4. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No I honestly don't ever remember being homophobic.
    There was a period when I was young enough that I really didn't know what 'gay' was.
    Even after I learned what it really was, I 'had nothing against them'

5. awildscrewup

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wasn't at first. However my family and school took religion (Catholicism) very seriously. I basically became the worst ever. I was fighting in the comment section multiple times a day. Just remember when you come across a raging homophobe in the comments they just might be a repressed 12 year old homosexual.

6. Jake8188

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was raised baptist and so I didn't think it was right in the slightest. I was scared overtime a gay thought crossed my mind but I would dismiss it and keep going. And when I met someone gay or talked about it, it somewhat made me sick to my stomach... I guess cause I thought it was so wrong. But once I moved for college my concept on this changed drastically.

7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember once in my junior year of high school, I found the notorious Leviticus 18:22 and put that verse on a poster I had to make for my English III class to show what kind of people we are and what we hold dear. That was really my only homophobic moment, I never thought ill of homosexuals though.

8. yangarang

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. I was raised in a conservative and homophobic environment and didn't really know any gay people personally. Like you, I would get upset/disgusted if something I enjoyed had someone gay in it or had two people of the same sex kissing. Although, it was mainly super conflicting, because I was taught to be disgusted, but I also didn't want to acknowledge how much I enjoyed seeing girls be together at the time hahaha. It was a constant back and forth struggle sometimes, because I had had feelings for other girls since early in my adolescence. Subsequently, I went to a Christian private university for college and that didn't really help in exploring those feelings or challenging my thought process either unfortunately. It wasn't really until I studied abroad and met people from all around the United States, and my friend group was entirely made up not-straight girls coincidentally. There, I was able to accept my feelings and change my mentality on the subject entirely.

I think for those of us who were raised to be homophobic, coming to terms with our sexuality is a very personal struggle rooted in self-loathing. It takes years to completely root it out, I think. I mean, not that the process is necessarily easy for anyone. It's just kind of...ridiculous how just parroting the words around you can lead to a lot of internalized homophobia and subsequent self-loathing. That's just me though.

9. AmyBee

Ugh. I had a really close friend growing up and we were into so many things together. Muppets, Star Wars, art, photography. We were always doing comedy shows and things. And then in junior high it became obvious he was gay. That was around the time we learned what that was. There was no mistaking it from that point. I was so scared people would figure out I was trans by association I stopped hanging out with him. I really, really, really regret that. Anyway, we're cool now and he just married his bf but still how many wasted years did stupid fear, prejudice and self-loathing cause?

10. Sohryuden

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was actually bothered by it to a certain degree, yes. I do come from a traditional family, and I grew up with the beliefs they taught me. While they never outright said homosexuality was wrong, my parents did talk about it as if it was extremely weird and unnatural. Which is why I found their easy acceptance of me when I came out to them even stranger...but that's for another time.

Anywho, a few times as a child I would see adults of the same sex kiss. I kept telling myself that they shouldn't be doing that, because it was, as my folks said, "unnatural." And I continued on with this mindset. Problem was, that while I insisted it wasn't right, it didn't actually bother ME. I just kept insisting on the beliefs that I grew up with.

At some point, I KNEW I was attracted to women THAT way, and the fear that there was something wrong with me was just so frightening at the time....I didn't know what to do with myself, and I just got angrier and angrier.

My irrational hate for myself and the lgbt community continued on for at least 3/4 of my high school career. It simmered down as I got older, and once I fell in love for the first time (with a girl of course), it just fizzled out completely. I really had no choice at that point but to accept myself, and really, just learn and grow up.

11. Glowing Eyes

Yeah, I was pretty homophobic. Like, I thought to myself that one dude I saw was gay and wanted to tell it to everybody to make him feel bad in public as if it was some dark secret (I don't actually know if he is gay). This person punched me in the dark once and stole things from me so I was already really mad at him. I also thought if I met a gay person I would have so much fun humiliating them in public. It all seemed to go away within a week or so though once I realized LGBT people are just normal people. And then I realized I was trans a long time later.

12. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to find the effeminate types funny, but I only saw them on TV. I think I didn't actually meet an openly gay person in real life until I was a teenager.

13. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was very homophobic and completely ignorant of trans-people. I thought trans was equivalent to drag at the time, and that it essentially meant "a special kind of gay."

I have always struggled with self hatred, and when I was in denial of my gender and orientation it was only worse. Now, I'm at peace with being trans but still wrestle with accepting my attraction to men.

Getting to know real people who are LGBT has definitely opened my eyes. It is easy to sit back on one's high horse and say "this is bad" or "that is unnatural" but when the issue is personal, everything suddenly takes on a new light and you begin to actually think things through. I cannot in good conscience debase human beings for loving the same sex. Yet I am ashamed that once, I was a fervent homophobe.

14. lnamae

lnamae Guest

I thought it was a bit weird tbh because I had no exposure to it, but I was never outwardly homophobic or had negative thoughts about it otherwise. I had a friend who was lesbian, another who was gay, and by then it was just normal to me.

Regardless of my orientation, I think even if I was straight I would have reacted the same once I became more aware. I also grew up in a sort of homophobic house (not so much that way now - their views have sorta changed) but for some reason I never paid that much attention to it and (thankfully) didn't take any of it in.

#14 lnamae, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  15. Clock dart

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was raised in a very religious home and was surrounded by bad voids of homosexuality. I never thought of it as a bad thing, but the thought scared me, and pounded in the back of my head. I felt very rebellious when I started to realize I liked men, and I tried my hardest to keep connection with women.

16. Embi

Embi Guest

I wasn't really homophobic. I thought everyone should do what they wantee, but I kinda thought it was gross because I didn't know any lgbt+ person personally, at least no outed one, and rarely saw people of the same gender holding hands or kissing. So when they kissed, I thought it was odd and strange. My parents never said it was wrong, but they also never mentioned it, so it wasn't normal for me.
    It was only when I started reading "The Mortal Instruments" that I stopped seeing it as weird and started to care about the lgbt+ community myself. It was about then when I became a more tolerant person, leading to me becoming vegetarian and stopping to act on stereotypes.
    I'm glad I accepted the community before I figured out my own sexuality because that way I never felt repulsed by myself or like I was doing something wrong.

17. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I only really found out about the community when I started to figure things out. Before then, I knew that there were gay men, lesbians, and straight people. And to a lesser extent, I knew about trans individuals.

I remember when I first started questioning and I would search things like "Am I gay?" and "Gay/lesbian test" and that came up with a bunch of videos and the further I got through all these videos the more terms I learnt. And then I remember hearing "LGBT" in one of these videos, it seemed to be a term that kept cropping up on these web pages/videos so I looked into it and I was surprised to find out that such a community existed.

Before that, I used to just think that there was just the "normal people" (straight) and "those gay people who are strange and lurk in the shadows". :eusa_doh:

Yeah....

The first time I learnt about homosexuality was when I was about 8/10 years old and a friend of mine who was a girl pretended to get married to me, and so we had people explaining to us about what homosexuality was. Not necessarily in a negative manner, more of a matter of fact way.

After that, it wasn't really mentioned. However, the internet messed things up at this point. The only time I would hear anything about gay people was on the internet. Sure, I knew a few LGBT characters like Smithers from the Simpsons and Jason Costello from Hollyoaks but I didn't really think about these characters too much.

It was only really from websites (like the YouTube comments section) where I really heard it being discussed. And of course, most of the opinions I saw there were quite negative. Many spouted homophobic remarks and gave religious reasons. So in my mind I thought "Well, I go to a Christian school, so I guess this is correct if this is what Christianity says". And that was that, and I soon built up this image in my mind of what a gay person was like. I saw them as these strange, alternative people who were causing disorder to the World and were oblivious to it.

The school in question was a public primary school that I went to, and although it wasn't mentioned at all at school I grew a negative image of "the gays" due to reasons stated above. Sure, my sister mentioned it briefly on the playground when the fake wedding happened- but aside from that.

The more I learnt about gay people from the comments sections- the more I noticed gay jokes. I remember going to this pantomime and the joke there was that in this version, Peter pan was gay and was hiding his "personal demons" in his closet. I see what you did there Pantomime, I see what you did.

So now at this point, I saw "the gays" as skittish people who were ashamed individuals who were strange and wrong and that they should be punished. :eusa_doh: You see, this is what happens when you let a child read the YouTube comments section, just...supervise your kids people.

It was only when I fell in love with a girl that I reassessed my views.

Knock, Knock.

Who's there?

Homosexuality.

Homosexuality who?

Homosexuality you.

Sorry, just had to there. :lol:

It caused me to have a panic attack, in which I locked myself in the Girl's toilets for a while rocking myself from side to side and I tried to stop myself from crying. Which was unsuccessful. :tears: The very thing I had learnt to hate was the very thing I was. So, naturally I went into denial.

"You don't like her, you just admire her...her...clothes?"

"But you're both wearing school uniform..."

"hair? shoes? Her cute dreamy eyes...I MEAN..er...er...think...think...hmm...er....SHE'S A WITCH TRYING TO CONVERT ME TO THE HOMOSEXUAL AGENDA AND SEDUCE ME, *THE TOTALLY NOT GAY AT ALL STRAIGHT GIRL THAT I AM LEGITIMATELY*, AND SHE'S CLEARLY "TURNING" ALL THE GIRLS HERE GAY BECAUSE I THINK THEY'RE TRYING TO SEDUCE ME TOO BECAUSE THEY SO UM....UM....ER...APPEALING....NO WAIT, Er... NOT APPEALING....THEY'RE NOT...ER...dammit".

I'm not in denial, you're in denial! :grin:

:roflmao: Looking back at it, I just find it hilarious. These days I'm an atheist (not because of my sexuality, I just don't believe in God). But I used to be religious because I started learning about religion from when I was four years old.

#17 Canterpiece, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  18. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't remember being homophobic, maybe that's due to a secular upbringing but generally I think I just never really had an opinion either way.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not excessively. A few misconceptions, but a lot of it was trying to fit in and draw attention away from myself.

20. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope.

I wasn't really exposed to homophobia (didn't know it existed) until I'd already admitted to myself that I liked girls at least a little. I didn't realize until I was older that some people were for some reason against homosexuality.