1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to decipher real attraction from heteronormative attraction

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by PennyT, Jun 25, 2016.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the longest time, I've thought that I'm straight, since I only had crushes on boys. However, six months ago, I began questioning. I realized that what I'd previously labeled as a friend-crush on a girl in high school was probably a full-blown crush. Looking back, I don't know how I missed the intensity of what I felt when I was around her. I wanted to go to prom with her, for crying out loud, and I hate dancing in public.

Anyways, I've never felt that way about anyone else but her. I have a list - my therapist actually had me write it out - of everyone else I've had a crush on (all male), but I don't know if they were actually real. I've commented on, to friends and in my head, "cute" guys, but my gut reaction when I find a girl attractive is disgust/horror, which I'm fairly certain is internalized homophobia or something to that effect. I don't know how to tell if the attraction I feel for guys is legitimate, and, if some are, which ones are legitimate. I know they all aren't real attractions because I sometimes get the same feeling when looking at someone I'm not attracted to, like Donkey from Shrek, or Stalin, or Trump, or Bill Nye the Science Guy. :confused:

Hopefully that made sense. Thoughts?