1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Lovisa, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Lovisa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am a bisexual woman, so I do qualify for being "queer". I don't feel gay enough for the gay community, or straight enough for the straight community. Then when I'm in a relationship with a guy, people just assume I'm straight.

So as you're from the LGBTQ community... What do you think are bisexual stereotypes of bisexual people?

I don't know why but I have always stereotyped bisexual men as rich, muscular, dark "Christien Grey" types, haha. :slight_smile:

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can vouch for the fact not all of us are like "Christien Grey"... My bank account is several decimal places short of his. I could kick his butt though, so I suppose I am muscular lol

Personally I am not a fan of we are "cheaters" or "attention whore" stereotypes. All of my relationships have been just with one person at a time.

#2 Shorthaul, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  3. mirkku

Pan here, but since most straight people make no difference between the two (it's slight, I'll admit), I also get quite a lot of "she's greedy", "twice as much chances to cheat", "volatile", "attention-seeker", "could not actually live with a woman" - I've been married to a man for almost 2 years now, after long relationships with other men and mostly other women before. So yeah, mostly, I'm tired of people thinking that bi/pan are natural-born-cheaters, and only entitled to define themselves as who they are only if they are dating both man and woman (/ people identifying as such as such) at the same time. It's ridiculous and depressing.

Incidentally, on Distractify: Girl Finds Out Her Friends With Benefits Is Bisexual And Goes On Homophobic Rant (I so hope for a fake, this woman is crazy...)

4. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm Bi, so I've heard some of them from my friends or other people I know that sometimes irk me:

1. "I thought girls could only be bi?"
    2. "Well, guys who say they are bi only say it so they could eventually transition to being gay later"
    3. Confusion over how being bisexuality works always leads to awkward questions from friends about which gender I prefer or how to approach these types of questions in general.

Never really got the questions that questioned my commitment to monogamy. Would be a bit hypocritical for some of my more "active" friends to ask that Lmaoo.

5. PrettyinPunk

All the stereotypes I tend to think of are the negative ones, yeah those suck. I haven't experienced them directly. I've heard them in passing and such. I know I, and other bi peeps don't fall into said stereotypes, maybe some do. I just don't get why there's still all these associations implied to all bisexuals.

6. lnamae

lnamae Guest

I've gotten people ask me mostly if I'm confused, and had to explain the difference between bi and gay or straight and "curious" an annoying amount of times. I've also been asked to be part of threesomes just because some people knew I was bi. Heard the "greedy" thing too.

tbh, I don't think I fit any of the bi stereotypes though.

7. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I think stereotypes are bullshit. That said, I do tend to act stereotypically gay oftentimes, even though I'm bi.

8. katey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dont know if these have been mentioned before but the stereotypes ive heard for all genders are that bisexuals are confused, greedy, attention seeking, spread STIs, and also that all bi people are very flirty due to their attraction to both men and women.
    For guys the stereotype is typically that they are only saying theyre bi because theyre too scared to come out as gay. For women, its that they are only pretendig they are bi to be more attractive to guys. In my experience, this is sometimes true of women, but still, the stereotypes really annoy me and its why only 5 people know that im bi.

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    1- You are just a repressed homosexual
    2- You must promiscuous just because...
    3- You must have a strong sexual drive
    4- You are just a repressed homosexual
    5- You are just a repressed homosexual

I'm bi with a strong, clear preference for women... So... I must be just a repressed homosexual

Older generations -> You are dirrrrtyyyyyy... (which means You must have a strong sexual drive that is out of contrrrrrolll)

10. Lipstick Leuger

Come on into the Queer umbrella sister! You can be any label that you feel fits you. I could not find what I wanted that accurately identified me so I chose Queer Femme. Suits me just fine. As for stereotypes, people always say Bisexuals are confused, but this is just ignorance talking.

11. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You just can't figure your life out can you.

I get that alot.. or

I see your a guy who likes girls, and a girl who likes guys.

I get that alot as well..
    To both I say, I could care less.