1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I just faking it?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by avenuequeues, Jun 27, 2016.

1. avenuequeues

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don't know if I am faking my attraction to other women. I flip-flop between liking the idea of having a relationship with one or not. I've summarized this into bullet points:

-I feel very connected to the wlw community on tumblr, but in real life I don't see a lot of women that I find attractive. I'm not repulsed by the idea of kissing one and sometimes I really, really like that idea, but other times I feel quite neutral towards it.

-I really like the idea of a romantic relationship with a women sometimes, but other times can't even imagine how that would be different from friendship and think friendship is enough.

-I have this idea of a woman in my head who I find really attractive but she is faceless. Similarly, I find pictures on tumblr of women attractive, but generally more so if their faces aren't in it. So for example a picture from the back, I find their figure and their hair really attractive, and similarly a picture taken from the side I find the side profile of a woman really attractive but not often do I find women attractive from the front.

-Having said all that I think I would find a woman more attractive if I thought she was attracted to me, as opposed to random strangers on the street who I awkwardly stare at to test my attraction.

-I often read situations where I am alone with another women as potentially romantic, even though I think they probably see it as completely platonic, but I don't know if that's because I want it to become romantic or again because I'm trying to test myself.

-I think that even if I am attracted to women I'm bisexual not gay, and to be fair I feel kind of the same way towards men so maybe it's unfair to analyse my feelings towards women and I should just accept that I'm bisexual?

-Surely the fact that I'm even questioning this much means I can't be straight. For example, I don't have to question my gender at all because I just know I'm a girl, so surely if I were just straight I wouldn't be questioning it this much?

I am very confused, please help if you can.

2. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Based on the information you have given, I'm gonna say you're probably bi. And no, you're not faking it. You seem to be genuinely attracted to guys and girls. That said, you get to make the final call when it comes to defining your sexuality.

3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I mean, I think trying to garner anything from staring at strangers is very very difficult. But what about crushes on girls at school? Or celebrities? If you really can't identify any of those I think you're straight and maybe you should take a tumblr holiday. If you can then maybe you are some shade of queer? Only you can know. I'm feeling like you'll probably find soemthingbut I dunno.

4. avenuequeues

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for replying.

Honestly I don't have crushes on anyone very often. The only one I have had recently, i.e. in the past two years or so, was a fairly minor one on a guy, but having said that the only crush I have ever had which was truly a full-blown crush was on a girl a few years ago, somebody I was already friends with.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure what a crush is - the crush I had recently on a guy was where I found him attractive and I liked his personality, and when we hugged I liked it, and I felt a bit nervous around him, but I wasn't longing for him all the time or anything, and it wasn't like I was constantly thinking about him, more just that I felt those things if he was there. But I would still call that a crush. But the crush I had on the girl was much more intense, we used to pretend-flirt with each other and I loved it and wished it was real, I really wanted to just hug her all the time and be close to each other, and I was longing to kiss her and I dreamed about it. She was my friend so I saw her a lot more often than I saw this guy, but I thought about her when she wasn't there and stuff like that, in a romantic way. I was so infatuated with her I thought I might even be in love with her, which now I recognize was just infatuation, but still that was just an indicator of how strong the feelings were.

However that was five years ago now and I haven't had a crush so intense since. I think I have had maybe three other minor crushes on girls, two of which were also on my friends, but like I said in a much less intense way. I find that because the majority of my girl crushes are on girls I'm friends with, I mostly just find myself wanting to be physically close with them, and thinking that if they were up for it I would kiss them, but not really thinking that I absolutely have to make out with them, and also I feel a bit awkward about feeling anything like that towards them because they're my friends.

And as for celebrities I don't know, there were one or two female celebrities that I might have been crushing on but didn't really realize it at the time, and in comparison to that there have been a couple of male celebrities who I have definitely had crushes on.

I think you're right about tumblr though, some posts on tumblr make lesbianism so bound up with "aesthetic" or whatever that it's hard to tell if I am identifying with the lesbian sentiment or just the aesthetic. Though I really am very drawn to pictures of girls kissing, and I did have feelings I might be bisexual years before I ever got tumblr and even longer before the wlw "movement" or whatever you want to call it on tumblr started happening.

Essentially I feel like I must be bisexual because otherwise why would I have spent so many years questioning it? I think perhaps I am getting caught up in figuring out if I am attracted to them equally, but I guess that doesn't really matter because as long as I am attracted to them both in some way, I would still be bisexual. But it would still be really good to get more input from somebody else, I know nobody can figure it out except me but I honestly drive myself crazy trying to figure all this out and it's just good to get some objectivity.

5. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well from what you've said you seem to be in a pretty similar situation to me. I would definitely not call myself or you straight - i think you totally sound like the bi lable suits you if you want it. I'm bit iffy with all the labels tbh, but straight certainly I have relinquished. When you've had that experience of infatuation with a girl... you can't deny that it happened, and it sort of takes away your 100% straight card. I had a similar experience and that's why I can't call myself straight any more. Sometimes I wonder if Im seeing myself as gayer than I am, but then I look back on that big girl crush and I know that I'm just not straight no matter how I look at it.