1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to date women but I don't want to admit I'm not straight.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by womaninamber, Jun 29, 2016.

1. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OK even reading the title of the thread it doesn't make much sense. I've never been with a woman but I really want to be. Not as a hookup or experiment (not that there is anything wrong with that per se). I want to date a woman and I have wanted this for a really long time and never acted on it except having a few coffee dates that didn't go anywhere. I am not interested in dating men right now.

But for some reason every time I say I'm anything but straight I kind of panic and I feel like I'm lying. And I'm not sure why? I'm not saying I'm completely not afraid of homophobia or biphobia, sure I am, but I don't think that's all that's going on. It's not my family not accepting it (my son already knows and is not straight either, and that's my whole family). I have friends online who all know. But anyway it's not even that I can't come out to other people, I can't come out to myself. I don't think it's wrong to be queer but I can't believe I am.

I went to a lesbian chat group a while back and panicked and almost left. I was looking around at the women and saying "I'm not attracted to any of these women so I must be straight and they're going to get really mad if they find out." I told myself that I was straight and it was my OCD making me think I wasn't and I needed to accept being straight and I promised myself I would never go back to groups and I would stop questioning. (I do have OCD but I don't think it's connected to my sexuality when I think rationally about it.) Well, as you can see that promise didn't last. I've gone to other groups and panicked less but it's still really hard.

Well I won't go into every instance of me being afraid to come out to myself because it has happened to me so many times. I just don't know how I am ever going to get over this.

I don't mean to run on and on. I just want to come out to myself and I thought this would be a good place to say so.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can completely relate to this. I've thought about posting a thread on it several times, but as you say, it doesn't make any sense; Can I acknowledge that I'm primarily sexually attracted to women, and still live as straight?

This is exactly how I feel when looking into the future.

You're further ahead than me, but when I imagine how I would feel if anyone found out, this is exactly how I feel. Like you, I don't really know why, because for the most part I'm fairly sure of my attraction to women.

For me, I think it's partly that I don't want to give up the protection of being straight, so fitting in, not having to explain myself, etc. Does that make sense? I also worry that I wouldn't be believed.

Also, because I've lived my live as straight up until now, I suppose that's the life I've created and person I've presented to the outside world, so I can't see myself as anyone else. In some ways, it's just easier to carry on.

3. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I can really relate to what you're saying too. I worry that I won't be believed, and I worry things will get awkward with people. Or people might assume I'm in a relationship or I have been (though why that would bother me I'm not sure.)

Also usually when I read about people coming out they always seem to say they knew when they were really young and they fell in love with their same-gender friends in school and none of that is me. (Granted, coming here I found other people who did not know when they were really young and that has helped.)

My therapist asked me today to say something positive about myself and I couldn't do it. I felt like anything I said would be a lie. It's the same feeling I get when I say I'm bi or gay. I don't know what that means though. Maybe it means that I want to date women but I feel I don't deserve to. I'll have to think about that.

4. blackmanlost

I also feel this way. Not about the sexual part because I'm close to just giving up and taking up celibacy. But about saying something good about myself. I feel like I need to stop lying to myself when I look in the mirror and say your gonna have a good day. Im lying Everytime.

---------- Post added 29th Jun 2016 at 06:45 AM ----------

I don't have the patient for punctuation.

5. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    womaninamber, the realising whilst at school isn't me either. I was oblivious to my attraction towards women.

I can understand what you mean about feeling like you don't deserve a relationship with a woman. When I think about it, I sometimes feel a sense of unworthiness. This is something that I'm seeking to work on too.

blackmanlost, I can't offer any advice, but I'm sorry you're feeling that way. (*hug*)