1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do you want to come out?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by jaska, Jun 29, 2016.

1. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope this is not an offensive question to anyone, it's just something I've been trying hard to understand and can't. I can understand why someone who is trans feels the need to come out and tell people because they may want to change pronouns or names. But why do you need to come out to people about your sexuality?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess you don't need to officially come out explicitly.

For the most part, we live in a society where the "normal" thing is to be in a relationship and find people attractive. So attraction and relationships are going to get brought up a bit just as a part of everyday conversation. It sucks repeatedly lying or purposely being vague when it gets brought up.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, I came out because my mom would say things like, "Isn't he so cuuute!? Why don't you go out with him?" and it just got annoying. -_-'

4. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because it's part of my identity that I've grown tired of hiding for these past fifteen years.

5. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out because I realized there was no point in hiding who I was anymore.

6. Gleek99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, I'm totally with YuriCore! I want to come out because I don't wanna feel like I'm in a bird cage, I want people to know who I am and be able to express myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to know if any of my friends know any nice queer women around my age.

(OK that's not the only reason but it's one.)

8. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't really want to tbh

9. R25983

In my case, it isn't just about freeing yourself from the locks you put up on an important aspect of personality. It's way beyond that.

Coming out is kind of important because at this day and age, I still live in a country that completely ridicules homosexuality. And that's not just in the eyes of the law or the Catholic Church (which still has a large influence in my country). People around here are like middle schoolers or high schoolers when LGBT's are being talked about. The people's mindset here is so immature towards being who aren't straight that coming out isn't just a way to tell family and friends that I'm into guys. The LGBT community here need to use their voices to educate the public about people like us.

10. AmyBee

I think it's a matter of being who you are and not hiding it. You really shouldn't HAVE to tell people, but most people think default is straight still. And even though it's really difficult at times you should be proud and happy to be who you are.

11. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If it comes up naturally in conversation or I want to know if a person's sexuality is compatible with mine if I want to date them. But otherwise, I don't think I need to.

12. Solid Snake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't see how this is question is "offensive".

Anyway, I don't plan on doing a whole "coming out" song and dance. I only plan on letting my family know, if the information is relevant. (I.E. introducing a boyfriend to them, asking for relationship advice, etc.)

13. TorBror

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because straight is "default", and so, if you ever gonna have an official relationship, you kind'a need to come out. That is what I'm thinking, anyhow.

14. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think for me personally anyway, the reason we feel the need to come out and have to for more convenience sometimes, is simply because society isn't caught up yet. Yes, sexuality shouldn't have to be something to announce if you don't want to, people just assume us all to be straight and cis, so the burden is placed on us to come out in order to make our lives more open/convenient/whatever the reason is.

Reasons to come out:

-When others know your sexual orientation, it can be easier for those you may be interested in to find you and approach you, and vise versa, instead of it always being a guessing game

-Keeping something inside from those your close to and pretending otherwise can get hard over time. Even if it's easier on a surface level to keep your sexuality a secret, you lose a lot of ability to be vulnerable in general with others, and it may effect your relationships (not that keeping it a secret isn't necessary or better in other ways depending on the case)

-You can feel less inhibited around others, and it also may allow you to participate in things and express yourself in ways that you would otherwise try to hide for fear of outing yourself. So it allows for more liberation in many ways. You can just be you and not worry about what little actions you should and should not do around others. I find this affects almost every aspect of my own life since I'm not out to everyone: what I can like and not like on fb, what I can wear, how I should cut my hair, what jokes I shouldn't laugh at around others, what shows/movies/books I can't express enjoyment in around others, what news stories I can and can't talk about and how I should talk about them, what hot people I can and can't stare at:slight_smile: So it affects a lot more than you realize when you really think about it.