1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if our purpose is to procreate then does that mean....

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by europeanguy, Jul 18, 2016.

1. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    that i and others like me, who are gay, have no purpose? does that not make our lives technically meaningless? genuine question this isn't some stupid depressed thing.

2. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is kind of a philosophical question, isn't it? I mean, some people would say that humanity's purpose is just to procreate, but that's just one theory among many. Personally I think that theory is bullshit, because procreation alone doesn't serve any purpose. Three million generations of kids later, and what was the point of it all?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If procreation alone was all humanity is meant for, then cis women would die immediately after their menopause, there'd be no infertile people, and (terminal) genetic disorders probably wouldn't exist.

#2 Gunsmoke, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  3. Glowing Eyes

No. You can have a meaningful life by doing meaningful things. Now, what's meaningful is subjective according to each person. For instance, I would find making a film meaningful 'cause I find entertainment to have meaning while somebody else may think it's a waste of time. Also, not all straight couples have children. What I'm trying to say is do what you think is meaningful.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's only our purpose on a primitive level. We have a civilized society now so we can create whatever purpose we want.

5. Glowing Eyes

Also the world is pretty overpopulated with humans as it is (just saying).

6. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    yes it is, hunger games!

7. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if our only purpose was to procreate we gay people would still have a purpose (along with infertile people, asexual people etc), we can better the world for those who do procreate and for their offspring. :slight_smile:

The world is overpopulated in many places as is and so many children become abandoned, so your purpose could also be to raise a child created by someone else.

This would be in a world where science didn't exist, but since it does you can have kids in a lab if you absolutely have to. :slight_smile:

#7 HappyGirlLucky, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  8. Brytaleith

I'm still questioning the validity of the claim "our purpose is to procreate".

That claim is not proven, and logically, it follows that all your musings and debates about your worth in relation to this purpose hold no meaning. In that case, I suggest you define your own purpose for living, and do it well.

9. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the human race is perhaps doing too good of a job procreating...

That kind of thinking is archaic at best and harmful at worst. You are worth more than just your ability to donate sperm.

10. iiimee

This. As a species our purpose is to procreate, but really, there is no purpose for anyone to do anything as individuals other than what they want to do.

11. yuanzi

I am not religious and I truly don't see a 'bigger picture' in terms of why we do what we do.

Even as a species the 'purpose' is to procreate responsibly. Otherwise we would soon run out of space and resources and start eliminating one another...

12. Althidon

Our purpose may be to procreate, but in order to do that successfully, children have to survive to adulthood. Why do humans continue to live after menopause? So that grandparents are available to help care for the next generation of children. Even if you don't have children of your own, you are part of a society that is helping to raise children to adulthood successfully.

And that's assuming humans exist solely to create more humans. Seems a little depressing to me, to base our existence on something like that.

13. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty much this.

I'd say it's only a "duty" when there's say, 50 people left alive globally. Over seven billion on the other hand, I'd say it's generous not to.

Seriously, I don't understand why this mindset exists outside of an irradiated post-apocalyptic wasteland and even then that's a stretch that it'd be needed. We aren't exactly short-lived rabbits getting swept up every day and having to repopulate, if anything I'd feel more comfortable if China's population were instead Earth's. But that's just me I guess, hope one day they start trying to terraform Mars to hold all these people.