1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crush on a straight friend

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Euphoria, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Euphoria

Euphoria Guest

Hi there, I've basically got a crush on a friend at work. We work together quite a lot and I've known him for about 3 years now. Gradually I've felt more and more attracted to him. He's everything I love in a guy because we're pretty similar in personality and looks, but he's straight... darn lol.

I know realistically that nothing will happen between us, but I just wondered if anyone could offer some advice on how to get over this crush. I will always think he's attractive, but I don't want to keep feeling so drawn to him because at the end of the day, I'm still closeted and he's straight.

The sad thing is, in trying to not be so drawn to him, I'm actually starting to distance myself from him, because that way I'm not so emotionally exhausted, but there must be a better way surely? I don't want to lose him as a friend just because I have a secret crush on him :icon_sad:

I'd appreciate any help, thank you :slight_smile:

2. Lonimation

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I liked my straight friend, I just liked her until one day I really just realized she's straight, she's got a boyfriend, it's not going happen. So I don't really know what to tell you except... Realize for real he's straight and he'll get a girlfriend anddd yeah. That doesn't help at all c:

3. BelieveinLove94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm going through the same thing. I have a best friend who is straight and has a boyfriend and I have a crush on her.

What I've done is just taken time to accept she is just a friend and that's all she'll ever be. I've taken any romantic love I feel for her and turned it into being the best friend I can be to her and being there whenever she needs me.

It's easier said than done, I know, when you have a crush, it's hard to get over them but sometimes you have to. You have to give yourself time to move on and remember that one day you will find someone who will love you the same way you love them. You can be this persons friend, you just have to take the emotions and turn them into care and kindness and be the best friend you can be to them.

4. Euphoria

Euphoria Guest

I guess thats true Lonimation, it's just the way it is and I've got to view it realistically. BelieveinLove94, that's a very good point. Instead of getting romantically attached, I ought to focus on just being a good friend to him and nothing more. Indeed, I think moving on is one of the hardest parts but it's necessary nonetheless, especially if I want to maintain the friendship I have with him.

Thanks for your replies, they gave me some direction :slight_smile:

5. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you manipulate someone into at least thinking about giving the other side a chance? Sure, but the return on investment will stink.