1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those of you who've dealt with denial or coming out..

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Blank1, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Blank1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Was it something that was ok your mind 24-7?
    Literally from the moment you wake up till you get to bed? When you do have a moment by yourself is it all you think about?
    Even if you try an accept the fact that you are, do these thoughts still persist?
    Does it consume your?
    Lastly, do you have terrible anxiety over all of it?

Sorry for the long questions.

2. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, all the f***ing time, for years. It's the main reason I like to keep busy, if I'm bored and alone I think about it too much and can get very down.

My mental health as had its very bad times, what seems like anxiety and depression, and I can attribute it all to struggling with my sexuality.

Does it consume you too?

3. guitar

When I was in the closet, it began to consume me leading to me being depressed and anxious about being gay. It was a bad ~year of my life.

4. Blank1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have thought about it endlessly for the last 5 years. My main issue I'm detailing with is my past and getting over that. Before this I was fine. I dated girls, hit on girls, thought about girls, and had no problem at all sleeping with girls. One day I went to bed depressed and upset, main trigger was yet another girl saying she just wanted to be my friend. Work up the next day thinking I'm gay. I went through months and years of checking. Looking at videos, pictures, everything. To this day I have no clear answer. My liking and attracting to everyone just faded. Literally from the moment I wake up it's a constant battle. My mind constantly reminds me about being gay even if I'm just looking at a girl.

Don't know what caused the change or if it's anxiety related. I would just like a clear answer. When I was straight I never once bothered to question it and I was more concerned with how to get a girl.

---------- Post added 1st Aug 2016 at 05:49 PM ----------

How old were you when you came to terms with it all? Anything make it easier? Did you have anything in the past that you hung on to that was hard to let go?

5. Sayonara

Sayonara Guest

It honestly sounds like you're having some kind of anxiety... you don't say anything about liking guys..

6. Blank1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Honestly that's what I thought myself, but I don't like to self diagnose. The anxiety is what kills me and literally it's everyday. Just in the back of my mind like gay, gay, gay. Trying to understand more how people come out and their denial. Maybe I'm just stubborn or maybe it is anxiety based. My entire family suffers from anxiety, mom and dad are both on meds, sister just had her attack and had to see a therapist. Only thing I question is how I would find out at 22 (now 27). When previously I loved everything about women and intercourse. Now I feel numb to everything and have a hard time even getting aroused due to the anxiety and depression.

7. Sayonara

Sayonara Guest

It definetely sounds like something's wrong. If you're SK anxious and depressed, you should see someone to help sort out your problems.

8. Blank1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Currently looking to find a therapist to help. I'd like to personally get to the bottom of it. Or at least not have it weigh on me each and everyday. I've done endless research and reading to see if this is normal for everyone when they come out or not. I know everyone is different. Either I'm just stupid and stubborn or there's mental games at play.

9. Sayonara

Sayonara Guest

A lot of people on this site think it's fake, but I think you should take a look at HOCD.

10. Blank1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have looked at it. I don't want to self diagnose. I know people do have issues with anxiety. Also I don't feel I fit what I've read hear about gay people. Yet I could be wrong and just be gay and not know it. I just never had had anxiety this bad over it and it's been over 4 years. I just know that naturally when growing up I always hit on and was attracted to girls.

One thing I don't share with some people is I didn't grow up in religious household, I was around gay people when younger, no one ever told me gay was being wrong, family was very open. So that's not a worry. Just trying to figure out why it would slap me randomly at 22 when I had already been dating and sleeping with women.

11. Sayonara

Sayonara Guest

Well, next time you get to talk with a therapist, try addressing him about this issue. It sounds dead serious.

Also, if you want to know you're not alone, I'm going through similar things, but in reverse.

#11 Sayonara, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
  12. Blank1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks I appreciate it. I just would like to know what I'm dealing with. If I'm gay then I'm gay and life moves on. If not, then I'd like to get the constant worry out of my head. I've even talked to my sister, friends who are lesbian, and another friend that I might be gay, but I'm unsure. I thought that would realive the thought and it would go on. But, the thoughts always persist.

When I was confidently straight I never woke up wondering about it. Since this has happened, the moment I wake up the first work on my mind is gay.

13. Sayonara

Sayonara Guest

Everything you're saying sounds like a lot other people I've seen with OCD/anxiety issues revolving around sexual orientation. Your thoughts were started by a failed relationship with another girl correct? Not because you like men? If you were gay, these thoughts would give you pleasure, which they clearly don't. I don't think you had anything to worry about in the first place. But you let it grow and take over you for four years... I hope you get to talk to someone soon, best wishes on feeling better about this :slight_smile:

14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes to all of those questions. But not anymore. I'm finally sure of myself. ^^

15. Blank1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That would be correct. I had many female friends due to my time line dancing. All wanted to be friends which was fine. I really liked this girl, went out on a date, got the I just want to be friends. Was pretty down and was texting my buddy about it. Then just went to bed and the next morning I woke up like I'm gay, that's why all these girls want to be my friend. Pretty much the start of it. I went into endless checking for years.

---------- Post added 2nd Aug 2016 at 03:40 PM ----------

Congrats on finding out and being comfortable with yourself. You're 16 so it's good you found out early.

16. Hotpussyboy

Hotpussyboy Guest

I tried to avoid thinking about it, but it always surfaced in my mind, and I used to thing that I was the lowliest of creatures on the planet because of what most people used to say about homosexuality. In time, I connected with some really nice guys, enjoyed being intimate with them, then eventually I came to accept who I am, and am now proud of being gay. Of course, I don't share that information about myself with just anyone.

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. ^^ I hope you will reach that point, too. (*hug*)

18. Alex200

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I feel this so much man! Sounds exactly what I am going through! I just want to know and be rid of all this anxiety that im causing myself. Like its gotten to the point where im constantly checking - am I attracted to this girl? Why aren't I attracted to her? I have never had a crush on a boy before and Yeh idk :frowning2:

19. mangotree

Denial stage (18-20yo):
    Was it something that was on your mind 24-7? - yeah, was praying to be straight pretty much constantly.
    Even if you try an accept the fact that you are, do these thoughts still persist? - yes, TRIED to accept it a lot.
    Did it consume you? - yes, both the trying to accept and the trying to be straight, was a losing battle whichever way I looked at it.
    Lastly, did you have terrible anxiety over all of it? - yes

Coming out stage (20-22yo):
    Was it something that was on your mind 24-7? - only when i was with the people who I hadn't told yet
    Even if you try an accept the fact that you are, do these thoughts still persist? - yes, though by this time - it was less trying and more succeeding.
    Did it consume you? - no, not all the time, the more people I told, the less it consumed me.
    Lastly, did you have terrible anxiety over all of it? - more stress and fear than anxiety

20. sunnyskies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes!

Its always ALWAYS on my mind and sometimes I feel like I'm driving myself crazy with all the thinking and all the going backwards and forwards in my head.
    Its strangely comforting to know I'm not the only one feeling this way!
    I've been questioning my sexuality for the past six years but its only over the last few months that its been so so heavy and so consumptive.
    I hope we both get to the day when we are comfortable within ourselves and aren't spending every waking minute thinking about it.
    Sending hugs your way x