1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recently came out (partially) and seeking advice

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by lovesecret, Aug 15, 2016.

1. lovesecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey all,

I am 23 years old and a newcomer to this forum. I need some advice. I have known I was attracted to guys for quite a while, but a few days ago, I decided to tell my mom about it. She said I might be confused...I went along with it partly because, on some level, I am still unsure. But, then she started asking very intelligent questions about what I was feeling, which I really appreciated. I know where my attraction lies, but I have really put this whole issue on the backburner for years because I just didn't want to deal with it. My mom was very accepting, which made me breathe a small sigh of relief. But, yesterday, as a spur of the moment decision, I joined both the ****** and Hot or Not dating apps. I was getting a lot of interest both from guys who wanted just to be my friend and those who wanted a relationship. I met this really nice (and cute) guy near where I live and we started chatting. He wanted to meet up, but I was very afraid to do that because I live with my parents currently and, although my mom knows about the issue I have been dealing with, I am still not fully out to her and I am not out to my Father at all.

But, somewhere in the middle of the conversation, he started calling me romantic names like "babe" and "baby". It was weird because, when I used to do online dating a while back, I would get weirded out and end it right there. But, this time I didn't. Something in me really wanted to continue our romantic conversation.

But, herein lies my issue. I feel guilty about that...I know I shouldn't, but I do. Although my parents weren't homophobes, they didn't go out of their way to support LGBT issues either. Since my mom doesn't know about this relationship, I feel like I am keeping a secret from her and the rest of my family and its eating away at me.

Any advice or words of support would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could come out to your mom again, officially. And then tell her you met this guy that you like. If you choose to do this you have to really be confident when you come out. This way you're telling her that no you aren't confused, plus you have proof.

You could also meet up with the guy at a cafe or any meeting place other than your house and explain the situation to him. He could help you in this situation.

I don't think you should keep this relationship hidden. Your Mom is gonna figure it out so it's best you tell her first. Don't give up! It's okay to like the same sex <3

Good luck ^^

3. lovesecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you for replying, Snoww. I might do the first suggestion you gave me because neither of us own cars and we both live a good 30 minutes away from each other.

I know. I am just incredibly unsure of the whole situation. Ive known Ive had attraction to males for a while, but its always been in the back of my brain...masked by another issue, problem, or event in my life at the time. I am just confused as to why its come up now. Thanks again for your reply!

4. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My pleasure c: