1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does sex deepen love?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by brainwashed, Aug 31, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have a crush for person x. You start talking to him/her. You go out with person x. A relation forms. You start falling in love.

You move onto sex. Does sex deepen love? Does sex grow the bond?

2. blightedsight

Depends on the people involved.
    I certainly don't think its possible to love anyone as much as I love my partner, but aside from the occasional bit of oral, we tend to just masturbate separately.
    Sex can strengthen a relationship, but then so can a love of Kath and Kim. There is no definitive criteria for why people can love each other deeply, its all about finding out about each other and appreciating them for who they are.

3. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on the people. If two people who are asexual have sex, then probably not. I think it truly depends on how much sex means to a person. For me, sex does deepen love. Sex is very important to me in a relationship.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sex, when part of a loving and committed relationship, absolutely has the ability to deepen the love, bond and intimacy between partners. When you have sex, you drop all pretenses and you completely expose yourself to your partner. By doing so, and making yourself vulnerable, the relationship should have enhanced trust and confidence.

MBM4K54 likes this.
  5. Brytaleith

Definitely depends on the people. For most, sex is a deeply intimate action that fosters trust and better communication. However, this can also be accomplished by other means (talking, cuddling), depending on what you or your partner prefers. That is, sex isn't the ultimate means of deepening love. You do what suits you.

MBM4K54 likes this.
  6. AllAlison

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    as billy connolly said once: men need sex to feel loved, women need to feel loved to have sex. one night stands aside, i think yes sex is important but dont make it a deal breaker

MBM4K54 likes this.
  7. blightedsight

As BlightedSight once said "thats just ruddy nonsense".

8. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm on the fence with this one because like everyone else had mentioned within their responses that it depends a lot upon the individuals involved. I have heard guys who had told me that they fell in love with guys due to their sexual prowess. So, that goes to show you how there are those who have various views/perspectives on this topic. I will say for myself...that in regards to if sex deepens love..well..it certainly does have a great impact but its other things within the relationship as well.

9. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't understand the big deal about sex. I guess its a preference. Sex is just fun. You get horny. You fuck. You move on. Why people get so bent out of shape over it, I can't figure out, but there is a legitimate reason.

10. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sex can also indicate if you're compatible with your partner, if you (still) are attracted to them, which sort of is a deal breaker.

You get horny, fuck then move on only applies to masturbation and most one night stands.

#10 andimon, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  11. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sex is a funny thing. Good casual and anonymous gay sex has something liberating about it because I know I'm breaking society's rule book while having a lot of fun. Sex with the person I love reaffirms our love and I've only ever experienced this kind of sex with my wife (who passed away a few years ago). Sex with a gay friend can be difficult because I find myself holding back so as not to fall in love. And then there's the romantic attraction I've felt for various males over my life - I can feel a deep love for them without ever having sex with them.

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the example offered by the original poster I would say there is great potential for sex to deepen the relationship and mutual love for each other.

Of course, sex isn't always about love and some relationships begin with a more lustful desire for sex and graduate to deeper feelings, but I do think sex can (and does) deepen love in many, many relationships ,for reasons already explained.

13. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all the great replies.

Bingo!

---------- Post added 1st Sep 2016 at 09:06 AM ----------

Bingo again.

---------- Post added 1st Sep 2016 at 09:09 AM ----------

Kind of off topic to the original post. I think sex deepens love "thing" is a contributor to why I've never been able to love another human being. I was taught some time and some how that sex between guys is wrong.

14. smurf

There are no studies to suggest that sexual intercourse makes people fall in love of deeper in love.

For example, if two people are at 5 level of love (hypothetical) they will not go to level 6 just because they had sex.

What does deepen love is the action of opening up, intentionally taking a "next step", being vulnerable with each other, etc. Some couples do that with sex, but is not because of sex. Sex is just a way to express all of that with your partner, but people can get the exact same feeling over a night with wine and deep conversation.

You probably have some issues to deal with, but I doubt it has to do with sex specifically. More with the thought that two guys shouldn't be doing anything together period.

If it makes you feel better, people who are asexual and might never have sex with their loved ones are able to reach the same kind of love than people who are having sex.

15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I find that love deepens sex.

Sex *can* be a completely meaningless, utilitarian act, as Godless describes...you do it to reproduce, you do it for fun, you do it to manipulate others or get something you want...lots of shallow reasons (not that reproduction is really all that shallow, actually).

Add love...and the act can become *terribly* significant...a real merging of two bodies and minds. Not longer just a simple act of pleasure, and definitely *not* a manipulation tactic or bargaining chip.

You can have cheap meaningless sex with a person you love...the sex in itself does not deepen the love. But if you approach sex *with love*, it absolutely transforms sex into something much greater.

As far as I can work out, this is the difference between how many men and many women view sex differently, and why sex gets laden with so many additional connotations. Women (not all, and not exclusively) tend to want it to be that potentially greater thing. Men (not all, and not exclusively) are perhaps more often happy keeping it as nothing more than the simple act.

16. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One word in regards to your response: AGREED!!!!!!:thumbsup: