1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is "sexual attraction?"

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Kodo, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How is "sexual attraction" defined?

In conversations about asexuality, I see this a lot. But I don't really understand what that means. Upon looking it up, it sounded like being attracted to genitals and wanting sex specifically with a given person. Is this what normal people go through? To see someone you don't know, and immediately want to bang them because they're attractive?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IMO, I define it more that you are sexually aroused thinking about the person and your relation to them. Like I could imagine them naked and be turned on and such with excitement. I would -eventually- want to have sex with them.

If someone is sexually attracted to someone, it doesn't mean "I would have sex with total strangers". It means we're aroused by possible strangers/acquaintances, however, we may still have morals or a comfort zone that implies "I would not have sex until a 6 month relationship or even after marriage". But I would still be aroused/attracted even if casual sex is repulsive to me.

Unfortunately, asexuals stereotype sexual people to a really horrible extent. They act like we're raging horndogs that have to fuck people 24/7 and be horny all the time in order to be real. We're not all like that. Me being a homosexual person just means I am attracted to the idea of having sex with women, and that I find women arousing. I don't fuck strangers. I'm not horny all the time. Sex doesn't define my life or existence either.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right, of course. I apologize as my original post may have been insensitive. I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Thank you for sharing your experience however. Very insightful.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it wasn't offensive to me. I was just clarifying that there are some misconceptions a lot of asexuals have about us, unfortunately.

5. Surutcra

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah I find this somewhat confusing as well. For some people, it seems to be heavily influenced by which genitals they prefer, and other people are much more focused on the person as a whole packaged that they're attracted to -- face, hair, body, voice, personality, etc. For most people these probably line up as the same gender they they're attracted to. For me they don't, and so the conversation of who you're "attracted to" leaves me wondering exactly what it means, or if there's even one definition.

6. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To me sexual attraction is a sort of involuntary reaction to another person. It is a sense of excitement you find in regards to their visual presence or their scent etc that you feel a desire to act on in order to satiate your excitement.