1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At what age did you know you were different

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Feelunique, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Im curious in general. This is for anyone to share. For me by 4 years old I felt boys and girls were both cute. My first experiences were same sex and later opposite sex. I'll share my story to anyone if they ask. To keep to the point at what age did your thoughts of your identity enter your mind.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, I first consciously knew I was different when I first had to change and shower in the boy's locker room in sixth grade - age 13. I didn't even know what homosexuality was back then, I just knew that seeing some of the other boys changing and showering gave me stirrings 'down there.' However, it wasn't until I was 25 years old that I put all the pieces of my sexuality together and finally understood (and accepted) that I was bisexual, but attracted much more to men than women.

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    10 years old, 4th grade. I would go and watch the boys play baseball at recess. I had the biggest crush on two of them. By 11 I had sex for the first time.

I may have known I was "different" earlier but I can't pinpoint an instance.

4. Linkmaste

Probably eight or nine when I was kissing a girl. I knew then I was a little different.

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2016 at 05:30 AM ----------

Eight or nine. I kissed a girl and I liked it.

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2016 at 05:31 AM ----------

I think I was eight or nine.

Srry if double post. Website being weird.

5. BlueBanana

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think around when I was 12, 6th grade. I started to feel a sexual attraction to men and my crushes on females stopped a few years before. I thought I might've been bi back then, but pushed the idea away.

6. killswitch0029

Looking back probably somewhere between 12 and 14, probably older until I knew at the time, closer to my later teen years. I started noticing guys around 12-14 but not enough to raise any questions until I was much older.

Sounds kinda weird I guess but it's not the easiest thing to conceptualize in word format I guess.

7. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Late bloomer. 17, suspected. By now, I'm no longer bi but les.

8. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate it

9. Iliricon

13 I realized I'm far less interested in girls then my classmates, 16 realized I love queer media, met my first male crush at 17, came out at 21.

10. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    Starting to realize I wasn't really into men around ten (I'm pan but I'm rarely into guys).. Didn't come out about that until I was fourteen (it was like five months ago or so) and I started to get serious gender feels around thirteen (I've never felt like a girl but I've never felt I like guy so I always just assumed I was a girl but twelve is when I discovered the term nonbinary and i realized that's what I was). I've only very recently come out as nonbinary and I'm still discovering myself (for example I don't have a specific label for my gender what)

11. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    17, also a late bloomer, now I fully identify as gay.

12. shootingstar

shootingstar Guest

I was first 13 when the thought first entered my mind that I could be gay. I knew I was different most of my life but it was only when I turned 13 that I realised the reason why!

13. Alwyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Around the age of 11 / 12 I began to notice that other girls became interested in boys and I didn't understand it. I felt scared and isolated.
    When I was 15 / 16 I had thoughts that perhaps I like girls and could be bisexual.
    When I was 23 I came to the realisation / accepted that I am a lesbian.

I feel like a late bloomer as well.. I know there are many people who come out later, but I still feel like I missed the best part of my life and should have known sooner.

14. 101DeadRoses

At 8/9/10 (puberty started early for me), I was switching through channels late at night and came upon some - ahem - adult "lesbian" movies. I realized that I wanted to touch the girls in the movie in the way that they were touching each other, and I was like "Ok, I'm bi" (later turned out to be pan, but whatever). Just that quick of an acceptance.

And then I forgot (yes - I literally forgot my sexuality) about it for a few years until I got a crush on a girl in my dance class. Then I came out a few weeks later.

Gender surfaced in a similar way.
    Looked in a shop window's reflection and realized I'd be much happier in a male body, but also realized that I was sometimes also happy in a female body, too.
    Told my mom on the car ride home that I was happy to have her because of how well she took me coming out about my sexuality, and that I'd been thinking about "crossdressing" (wrong term, I know - I was a newbie to gender things) and how glad I was that I knew she'd be fine with it. Came out for real a few weeks later.
    About a year later, here I am, and yep, she's still fine with it. She's helping me get packers and is looking into binders.

I'm blessed with this mum of mine.

But yeah, it was basically just "I am pretty sure that I am straight" to "ALL THE QUEER" in about thirty seconds. I was totally sure, and I was right.

Talk about 0-100.

#14 101DeadRoses, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  15. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was 15 years old when I realised I felt attraction towards females after doing some analisis on my feelings for my best friend. It took me two more years to accept my bisexuality.

16. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    14 when I realized it. Had thoughts as young as 7 though, not sexual but "I would kiss them" sort of thing.

17. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew I felt different around 13 but by the time I got to 16, I pretty much knew I liked guys... and going to an all-boys high school, well... I had crushes... But I was a late bloomer with actually accepting I was gay, for myself (Waited till I was 25 ...) and my first physical experience was at 26.

18. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gender wise, I noticed I didn't really feel cis- at a young age. Somewhere around 6 years old is when it became more apparent to me. It was partially my individual and evolving style, but mostly it was that I didn't think "I'm a girl," anywhere near as much as I thought "I have these genitals."

About 13 years old. I realized that I wasn't finding much of a difference between my attraction, or lack thereof, towards each gender. Boys and girls did about the same for me. I was sure I was bisexual, because I had never heard of any other identities besides gay, straight, and bi.

At somewhere around 16 years old, I realized that I was a queer that was different from LGBTs.

19. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I pretty much always felt different for all parts of my gender/sexuality. I'll mostly focus on gender. I was always friends with the girls. I always played with them too. I never felt masculine. In middle school, I was still mostly friends with girls with a few guys (but not as close with them). Then, in 6th grade, I started wearing feminine clothes in private. I was still kind of confused about my gender, and was just male by default. Then, in 9th grade (at the beginning of which, I learned a lot about the LGBT community, and figured out my sexuality), I definitely loved most of the feminine/neutral shops (it's a type of class in technical schools) and hated the masculine ones. I was pretty happy when they said we had to explore feminine (for guys) or masculine (for girls) shops, while everyone else was pretty upset. Finally, the next summer, I figured that out.

I guess I just said my entire gender backstory.

20. SidMcMuscles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started having feelings for boys when I was 15, and I came out two years later.