1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do girls dress like guys to date girls who like girls?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by atomic dorito, Sep 23, 2016.

1. atomic dorito

my dad keeps asking me how a girl can date another girl who looks like a boy but can't date a real boy? and why there is any difference between it? and him saying this to me kind of hurt because i dress more on the masculine side. i'm kind of a perfect mix between stud and femme. but my stud side hurt because of those comments. what should i tell him because i don't know the answer either.:tears:

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask him if he would date a man who was a crossdresser and wore feminine wigs/makeup.

Because this is pretty much the same thing.

3. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess it's like gay guys who like feminine guys. The only thing I could think to say is that how someone dresses or behaves doesn't make them a man or a woman. A woman dressing 'like a boy' (presumably he means more than just wearing trousers which is itself is not very traditional depending on how far you go back, i.e. the 50's) is not trying to be a boy or pretend to be a boy. They are still a woman or a guy - unless of course they are trans in which case they are identifying as that gender, but that is something only the person themselves can judge and is a different case anyway.

So to recap - just because someone dresses a certain way doesn't make them one thing or the other, it is down to the person themselves. As for attraction to stud girls or femme guys - he might as well ask why people prefer blonde or brown haired people or muscular or slim people. I find it really odd when hetero people think that our preferences (which don't conform to theirs) are any more unreal or odd than their own. That also applies to clothing - why do some people like sweatpants and others jeans or chinos? Why do some people like to dye their hair or wearing earrings? It is just what people like.

I hope you can formulate my ramblings into a sting retort when your dad says that again.

4. waifuofino

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Personally, I always thought of it like this, a heterosexual woman wears makeup and dresses because she knows that it is what a man wants in a heteronormative relationship, he wants someone feminine because he is (often pressured to be) masculine.

A lesbian doesn't have to worry about this. She is with another woman who also is free to experiment with masculinity/femininity outside of the heteronormative mold. She could be naturally feminine, or more masculine.

Personally, I think there might be a genetic component to masculine/femjnine presentation related to gender, but it is certainly not absolute and thus short hanir, t-shirts and ties =/= man and skirt, blouse, and makeup =/= woman.

What am I attracted to in a woman? It's just a feeling, a presentation, innate to self-identification.

Same for men.

I personally am attracted to at least partially gender conforming people, but this may just be my societal upbringing and could fade out as time goes on.

There is more to being a man than being masculine, and a woman wanting a woman does not necessarily mean she wants everything feminine.

5. RavenWing

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some lesbians are attracted to the more "butch" stereotype of homosexual women/girls, some aren't. Attraction isn't limited to the way someone dresses. These clothing "stereotypes" of masculine and feminine didn't even really become a huge thing until the 1900s. Just like blue used to be a "feminine" color and pink used to be a "masculine" color until Hitler decided pink was "homosexual" and marked gay men/women with a pink triangle.

6. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Penises. They don't like penises.

No, for real I think the sexual orientation is called sexual orientation because you're attracted to (a) certain gender(s)/sex(es). Femininity and masculinity are not gender-restricted and people who claim that are close-minded.

#6 andimon, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  7. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Well...the masculine girls don't dress masculine because they happen to be into girls. It's just a part of who you are. I started dressing masculine at an age long before sexuality came into the equation.

The same goes for liking masculine girls..it's possible to like women and it's possible to like masculinity and since masculinity is not only a trait seen on men it's possible to like both at the same time. Easy as that.

8. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would actually like to underline that I've met a guy that was androphilic, which means he was attracted to masculinity, and while it is mostly present in men, there had been a few women he admitted having been drawn to, so thanks for pointing this out.