1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you identify as bisexual if you’ve never had a crush on a guy?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Canterpiece, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Warning: long post incoming.

So lately I’ve found it hard to find a label that fits. Right now, I feel like my sexuality is a bit like my hair (between two points, in my case between wavy and curly) although to put that in orientation terms- between gay and bisexual.

Recently I’ve been starting to realise that perhaps I’m not as gay as I once thought I was. I know I like women, but I’m not sure about men. There have been times where I’ve found men attractive, yet so far I’ve never really had a proper crush on one. I’ve never known a guy I know IRL that I’ve wanted to kiss, but I have known women I know IRL that I have wanted to kiss.

But it’s different with celebrities. I made a thread not that long ago about finding a male celebrity attractive when I was on my period. The odd thing about that case was that when I came off my period I lost my attraction to him. It was almost like some kind of fluke, so at the time I dismissed it.

However, when I came across a thread about mental VS physical arousal, it made me think about that incident. I wondered if it was possible to feel something on my period, that maybe it’d be possible to feel such a feeling again. It made me wonder if I was bi.

These days I’m back to questioning again, which is unfortunate seeing as how I’ve previously come out to others as a lesbian and now I don’t even know if I’m actually a lesbian after all. To add to the complications, a friend of mine keeps referring to me as 95% gay, 5% straight, and it’s interesting because I know guys who identify as straight yet say they’re 80% straight, and 20% gay.

I don’t know what to think anymore. Questioning isn’t fun, I just wish I knew. These days I find myself questioning how I feel about shirtless guys. I know when I first started puberty I didn’t hold much interest in them, and when I started forming crushes on girls it certainly seemed like I was gay. I started feeling romantically towards girls from age 11, although I only really started to become physically/sexually interested in them around 14/15 years old, at least I certainly noticed women a lot more at that point anyway.

Funny story actually, when I first started puberty and started seeing shirtless guys on TV in adverts, I originally thought that these men with abs were just anorexic. I thought that their bodies were deflating inwards, and I thought they were like the people I had seen with eating disorders on TV shows so one time I yelled “ew” because I was used to hearing people react the same to the people with serious eating disorders. My mum looked at me in confusion, and questioned me about it.

That was the first time I’d seen guys like that, all overly sexualised- so I just assumed that they had some kind of condition. I thought that my mum was expecting that response, hence why I said that. Now I’m not saying it’s acceptable to mock people with extreme weight loss and eating disorders, but I was just so used to seeing people react that way I thought that it was expected of me to do the same.

I never really questioned my lack of attraction to men back then, as I just thought it made me somehow better than the other girls. I was taught from a very early age that finding someone physically attractive is always a bad and lustful thing to do. Especially if you felt that way about the same sex, then in which case you were said to be vain and a bad person.

I used to be somewhat homophobic because of this, to the point where I’d freak out at two girls kissing and if I saw a man who I thought was gay, I would hope that he’d get “cured”. It was messed up, I know.

In fact, I made a thread about it: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexua...phobic-before-realising-your-orientation.html

There was one video I missed out though, and that was Katy Perry’s “Hot and cold”. When I used to watch that, I always read the man as gay in that video for some reason. I thought he was reluctant to marry Katy as he was doubting himself and “battling” homosexuality. I saw the end of that video as the guy managing to “overcome” it and that he became straight.

I realise now just how stupid that belief was. Back then I didn’t have many resources many resources that covered homosexuality. I learnt what it was when I was eight, when me and my friend pretended to get married to each other, I was the groom and she was the bride.

I didn’t particularly want to be the groom, but she insisted so…yeah. When my friend asked if she would ever be able to marry me, my sister and a few others had to explain to her about the fact same-sex marriage wasn’t legal back then.

That’s when I realised it was a thing. Back then I didn’t know anyone that was gay, I’d never heard of any adults that were or anything like that. The only time I’d ever hear about it was on the internet, and whenever I’d read or hear about it, all the resources were always negative about it. I’d always see people using it as an insult or saying that people would die horrible deaths because of it. I’d always see people saying that it was some kind of choice.

It was only when I hit 11 years old and fell for a girl that I realised that it wasn’t. Back then I freaked out, and for a year or so I denied to myself that I felt anything for her, I pretended it was just admiration and that I didn’t actually want to kiss her.
    When I finally confronted myself, I realised I had a crush on her pretty hard. Secondary school was difficult. There was a lot of pressure on me from my friends to get with this guy (who later came out as gay) and we “dated” for a while but nothing really happened in that relationship and it just wasn’t working out.

It was just better when we got to hang out as friends, since when we were friends we didn’t have to do all the coupley things. We could just relax and have a laugh. It was difficult to explain to others why we split up, because according to them we seemed like “the perfect couple” and we were sort of seen as an example. I didn’t want to lose that reputation so it felt important to me to keep this image others had of me.

I gave people all sorts of reasons for why we split up. It was going alright, until one girl who had her doubts about me started voicing her concerns. According to her, she knew I was gay right from the bat- before I’d even started talking. I knew she was the crack in my plan that could run everything and tear things apart.

I tried to convince her that I was straight, but she wasn’t having it. I guess I did look a bit stereotypical after all. It was when she got me to admit that I didn’t find my ex (the guy mentioned above) attractive in a rather sneaky way, that she had me where she wanted. I’d messed up big time, and she wouldn’t let it go. Along with her identical twin, they’d make up chants about me and constantly tease me about it. Yeah, it was annoying.

I came close to having crushes on guys in secondary, but it was almost like my brain just failed to make the connection at the last minute. There were guys that I felt like getting close to, but when I tried to imagine kissing them I either felt indifferent or felt like throwing up. It was like part of my mind was trying to form the connection, but some kind of error occurred before it could.

Then there was that time where I supposedly rejected the “hottest” guy in school, and some of the girls I knew would pretend to flirt with me as a joke because they questioned just how straight I was when I said I didn’t like him.

So at this point it seemed like I’d figured it out. I’d never gotten crushes on guys like the ones I had felt for girls. So when I was 14 years old I started identifying as gay. I identified that way for a while.

But then when I was 16, I started questioning again. For the first time, I started to come out to more people. At that point I had decided that I wanted to be more open with others as I had been outed just a few days after I turned 16, and I didn’t want my orientation to be treated as some dark secret anymore or some kind of joke. I was sick of it.

I wanted to gain a sense of control again, and ironically that sense of control came from giving others control. I decided to stop caring who knew, and just tell people as casually as I could. I didn’t want it to be seen as a big deal, and I didn’t want to be defined by it either. I wanted to tell people as casually as telling them what my eye colour is, if you get what I mean.

When I moved to another part of the country, it felt like a chance to start again. The idea was telling people fairly early on into the friendship, because I didn’t want to build up people’s hopes only to disappoint them by finding out that I’m not straight. Back in Secondary I had friends that were homophobic, and I always had the feeling that I was just a disappointment chewing at the back of my mind.

I didn’t want any chance of that happening again. So I started telling people, and it felt like I had everything worked out. But it turned out I hadn’t. Now that I’m 17, I’m back to questioning again. I’m starting to wonder just what my attraction I felt on my period means.

I know that at the start of puberty I didn’t feel anything towards men, but now I think I might be starting to develop a physical attraction. Possibly? I don’t actually know; I can’t tell these days. I just, I don’t know what to think anymore.

So, my question is- can a woman identify as bi if they haven’t had a crush on a man they know IRL but might be into certain male celebrities? Should I just give up on labels? When can someone identify as bi?

#1 Canterpiece, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone? I know it's a long post and I might write a TL: DR version later, but if you have the time I'd appreciate any advice on labels. :slight_smile:

3. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I took my time to read it all and it doesn't seems like you do feel sexual attraction towards guys. I just gave no answer about that because I'm probably in a similar situation as I never crushed on a boy, but I do identify as bisexual. The reason for me to do that is because I do have other signs of bisexuality such as frequent sexual fantasies about men and I do check on guys, but yeah, maybe I should question if I'm really bi or just a lesbian again. Anyway, good luck with that.

4. Hushhh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hy there :slight_smile:

You're lucky you found this place sooner than I did! Well I think more experienced members could shed better light on that for you, but I'd like to share my experience on labels.

So I am not out except to my 2 best mates! I've always thought I was a lesbian when I was younger, but I discovered that I could fall for anyone(men, and women mostly and also possibly feminine gays and trans females) I guess what I'm trying to say is give it time and you'll discover a label that fits you. I'm ok with bisexual.

Oh what you're feeling on your period is perfectly normal, our reproductive organs release certein hormones that somehow makes us feel more sexually(excited)on certain days of the month. That is particularly something more for women than men. Just enjoy it, whether alone or with others, just rememeber to always be responsible.

Best of luck!
    Hushhh

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me, sexual attraction is a desire to have sex with someone of that gender.

That doesn't necessarily mean you find a random man hot and automatically choose to have sex with him. Obviously, some people aren't into casual sex or random things with strangers. However, it does mean that you would fantasize about men in general and find the IDEA of sex with men to be a turn-on. Or you would see a hot guy, have tingles "down there", and get really excited if you imagined him naked. Even if you made the choice to not have sex with him.

So do you feel that way? From what I read, I want to say not fully. So you might not be bi, but you might at least be a kinsey 5.

I'll give you a story about my experiences. Personally, I don't have crushes on women very often. It's maybe once a year or less. But before I actually had crushes on women, I fantasized in my head. Giving oral, doing other sexual things with women in general got me hot. Thinking about the same with men made me feel repulsed or "wrong" like incest. I figured out my sexuality this way.

I also felt sexual attraction to women I knew before. Where I would imagine us having sex and thinking about her naked and such. I didn't act on it because we weren't together and I don't like casual sex. I also had romantic fantasies too, so I knew that if we did have sex, I would end up hurt. However, I am still a 100% virgin that knows my sexuality. Even if I don't crush on women constantly, from fantasies I just know I'm a lesbian with a lower sex drive.

So I hope this helps explain sexual orientation a bit more.

6. SystemGlitch

I very much skimmed what you wrote because I don't have much time, but I'll try to give what advice I can.

To answer your main question; yes. Orientation is based on attraction, and attraction doesn't necessarily equal a full-on crush. If someone feels attraction to certain gender(s), they are well within their rights to use the labels that signify that.

Anyone can technically use any label. The thing with identifying is that it's based entirely on how you feel and see yourself as well as your personal interpretation of a label, which means that one person's definition of bisexual may not fit all bisexual-identifying people, or that there are people that the majority of society would probably call bisexual but the person themselves doesn't identify as bisexual. Again, it comes down to comfort as well as the label that you feel fits you. That doesn't change the fact that there are some specific meanings attached to certain terms, of course (for example, heterosexual = opposite gender attraction, so calling yourself straight if you experience mainly same gender attraction would be confusing to most people) - but the finer details are foggy and generally vary from person to person. One person's "straight" may mean "only ever attracted to the opposite gender, never even considered other genders", while another person's definition could be "near-exclusively attracted to the opposite gender, may rarely be exceptions", then you have people who may call that last definition "heteroflexible" or straight-up "bisexual" instead of straight, etc. So, really, you can call yourself gay or you can call yourself bi or you can call yourself homoflexible or whatever other label you feel fits you most.

Many people choose not to care about labels (and it is much better than completely obsessing over them) but in the end it's up to you whether to label yourself or not. If you can find middle ground between apathetic and obsession, there's no problem with trying to find labels to define yourself; just remember that the label needs to fit you, not the other way around. So if you find a label that you feel you check only 60% of the boxes for, but it feels most appropriate out of what you know, then there is no reason for you not to use it. Find what you're comfortable with and go from there. If you really desire a label but cannot find one that fits at all, you might consider queer - it's pretty much summed up as "not straight" with no more specifics than that.

Personally, I wasn't necessarily searching for the label, I was searching for the understanding of who I was attracted to and who I was. Labels just happened to come along with that because they are the words that I could use to turn the concept of who I was into something concrete, something that other people could understand. The word itself means little to me beyond that it accurately describes a part of me and allows me to find similarly-minded people.

I hope this helps, sorry I couldn't give more tailored advice. good luck.