1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organized/labeled sexaulity and gender

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by dudette, Oct 25, 2016.

1. dudette

What is the point of labeling your sexuality and gender?
    I mean neither the romans and greek did that before Christianity, and they were able to express they gender and sexuality without labeling it.
    What happened to our society that we have to label and categorize people base on sexuality and gender? We don't really label people based on the food they like or eat; why should we categorize people based on their sexuality or gender? Why aren't we allowed to categorize ourselves as 'humans', and get attracted (sexually or romantically) to people who we like? why aren't we allow to categorize ourselves as 'humans' and behave and dress however we like? What is the problem for a human to fall in love with another human and consider them as humans without labeling and categorizing them?

#1 dudette, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well there are a few practical reasons but I don't think that's what you're thinking about here. My guess is that when it comes to gender and sexuality labels it is most important to us as individual beings when it comes to sexual and romantic compatibility. In most cases even if we prefer not to label ourselves we would like everyone else to be more transparent, especially when it comes to finding potential partners.
    Personally I'd rather have someone say "sorry I'm not gay" than "sorry I just don't like you".

As far as your internal label, you don't have to have one. You don't have to call yourself male or straight or mammal any more than you have to call yourself black or white. It's completely your choice and whatever makes you happy but try not to be offended if others try so hard to find their own label for you.

3. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly, as a dear friend is discovering with me, when you remove the artificial labels and just be yourself, there is a world of possibilities you never imagined would be open to you out there.

I've know that for a while but, it's so beautiful to see my friend discovering it and, to be a part of that discovery.

Just imagine a world where we are all simple people. That's it, I'm a person, I love you, you love me and, that's what's really important, not what clothes I wear, what color I am, what if find attractive because I find you attractive be that for your body or your personality and, that's all I care about.

In reality that's a rare find but, once you find it, so beautiful, so right, whatever barriers you thought were there simply melt away. That's the world I want to live in.

4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If John Lennon were alive today, he might have revised Imagine for a new world.

Imagine there's no gender.
    I wonder if you can.
    No rules to bind us.
    No woman or man.

Imagine all the people,
    living life with pride.

5. SystemGlitch

For a lot of people it's important for a sense of belonging. Humans are incredibly social creatures by default, and people like to find similar minded people - it's really not a coincidence that men gravitate towards other men and women gravitate towards other women more often than not. It's because for a lot of people they see someone who shares a label and believe they share experiences and mindsets (even though that last part is provably false in a lot of cases). Our brains also like to categorise things in order to process them more easily - we see a new object (in this case, a person), apply the label, and now we "know" things about it. So it's pretty much a biological and automatic response at this point in humanity's development.

I understand where you're coming from though. I wish that sexuality didn't need to be defined, and it was just a matter of "Is person attractive? Yes? Pursue them"; but that might simply be because I'm bisexual/pansexual, and that's how I form my relationships, so it makes sense to me.

Gender on the other hand I feel more strange about. Part of me believes that if the world was genderless, trans people would be completely lost because gender dysphoria directed towards the body (which is not caused by society's ideas of gender or by gender roles or whatever - it is caused by the brain telling the person that they have a certain type of body and certain parts when they don't actually have them, causing a disconnect and discomfort) would no doubt end up being classed as body dysmorphia, and probably considered along the same lines as Body Integrity Identity Disorder - people who suffer from this believe that they should not have certain limbs, ie their brain tells them that they do not have a left arm when their physical body does have a left arm, and they desire to have the limb that is wrong removed. Transgender people wouldn't just disappear if the world were genderless... it would just be considered differently, and would no doubt be considered "unethical" to treat via surgery.

#5 SystemGlitch, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016