1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want male approval?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by OnceUponADream, Nov 3, 2016.

1. OnceUponADream

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a really deep need for men to validate me and I didn't notice it until recently. Their approval of my appearance and personality makes me feel validated in a way that women don't. But, I've never truly been sexually or romantically attracted to a man but I have been to multiple women. In fact, I never get particularly emotionally intimate with any men and I actually don't feel comfortable or self assured in their presence. I actually don't understand my feelings at all and they seem really strange.

2. Sen1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I totally get where you are coming from. For me, I feel so much pressure around guys. I feel way more comfortable around women than men. I'm physically attracted to both men and women, but I find myself being more romantically drawn to women. I feel awkward and uncomfortable when a guy is actively flirting with me but when a women does (this has only happened once so far) it feels amazing.

3. Alwyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From what it sounds like, your 'need' for men who validate you is not really a desire to be with men in a romantic/sexual/intimate way, but a result from our society that gives girls and women the message that our self-worth depends on how men view us. For example, in girl's magazines you'll read about how to dress and wear your make-up in order to make boys like you, etc. As a result, if you get "the male approval" you feel validated.
    Your feelings aren't weird or even uncommon - it's probably a (internalized) product from how society treats women and the relationship between men and women.

4. CoconutOilLady

I agree with this. And the OP. I feel the need to get validation from men too, unfortunately.