1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A lesbian that doesn't find lesbian relationships in media appealing...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Noodly, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Noodly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    A big reason I assumed I didn't and couldn't like girls for such a long time was that I didn't feel much of anything when I saw lesbian couples in movies and shows. Like... my heart melted when straight couples and gay men confessed their love for eachother, but the dynamic for gay girls almost always seems to be more sexual than romantic. It always seemed like the story went like this; a more experienced lesbian sweeps a bicurious girl off on a sexcapade that pretty much never has a happy ending. It failed to capture my attention, so I assumed I had no interest in a lesbian relationship.

It wasn't until I watched one of the newer episodes of Steven Universe that the realization hit me that I might be gay myself. When I saw a gay woman getting nervous around the girl she likes, doing stuff to impress her, and finally asking her out it hit me that lesbian relationships function just like straight ones do. It's the same experience, just without a man involved. I don't know why that was such a hard concept for me to grasp beforehand. (Maybe it's because lesbian representation sucks >:\)

Kind of sad that it's taken me THIS long to find somewhat compelling lesbians in a movie/tv show. I'm 20 now for god's sake.

2. SystemGlitch

The reason lesbian relationships aren't appealing to a lot of lesbian women is because they're tailored towards straight men. The majority of straight men enjoy the thought of two women being together for whatever reason, and the media knows this, so they put out what they think straight men will like. From research, it's shown that many men don't really enjoy romance or romance movies - so why would they show romantic elements to these relationships? On the other hand, many men enjoy seeing sexual relationships, sex scenes, lots of raunchy things - so plenty of that is put in. They aren't making the stories/media for lesbian women, but for the straight men that eat it up like honey.

Straight love stories, on the other hand, are tailored for women in general. Studies show how many women enjoy romance and romantic storylines (and sexual relationships as well, but generally with romance involved), so straight love stories include this. Many women are also seen to enjoy gay male stories (see: the yaoi fandom) so these are also tailored to women by including love and romance over purely sex. Straight men are assumed to not want to watch a gay male romance because of having no romantic/sexual interest in men; likewise, straight women are assumed to not want to watch a lesbian romance because of having no romantic/sexual interest in women. And the media want to appeal to the masses... the majority of people are straight, "men want sex", and "women want love". Therefore, the things that men are assumed to watch are sexy but not romantic and feature only women, while the things that women are assumed to watch are more romantic and feature either only men or men and women.

All this combined leaves LGBT people looking for role models/guidance/relatable media very much lost. It leaves lesbian women in particular completely high and dry because they have no accurate representation at all - gay men do get romantic representation, even if it is for a female target audience, while lesbian women are completely and utterly sexualised. It's something that needs to change, but I don't know how soon that will happen - like I said, the media appeals to the masses. Until the masses as a whole boycott what is currently successful and demand something more accurate, I think we'll see much of the same as what we normally do... :dry:

3. seeking

I think media makes relationship between girls way more sexual than between two men.

I heard theories as to why that is...some say it is because a lot of people don't take females seriously, that it's really just to appeal to a certain audience, or various other theories I heard.

Love and relationships are the same for everyone...some are healthy...some are not.

A famous Lesbian (has 1 female transitioning from female to male) tv shows is "The L Word" while sometimes I think the story line is corny...it's like a soap opera.

You can find it on Hulu and Netflix if interested in seeing it.

4. Pandagurl76

I completely understand this, i'm lesbian but not that sexual really so always found it so hard to relate to anything.

Watch Shannon and Cammie on YouTube!! They were literally what made me realise and accept that i'm gay :slight_smile:

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, It's just not very good. Honestly, as a lesbian myself I just prefer straight couples and M/M. F/f does nothing for me.

6. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly for me, this is part of the reason I didn't even know I was attracted to women for the longest time. I don't really like any female celebrities due to how they get portrayed in the media, and I also don't like the new way it seems that lesbian couples get portrayed either...and also which ones are more "popular" now....what I mean by that is, it seems out of a lot of couples that do get the limelight nowadays, they're usually both feminine women (maybe this is to, again, appeal to straight men and also to make straight/cis women more accepting of homosexuality due to the negative stereotypes that masculine women get, so they can relate to them better???), and I personally don't really like feminine women, nor am I one so it makes me have trouble picturing myself in relationships like that. Also, since I typically don't think about myself being with a certain gender if I am with a female, and since I am nonbinary/agender and do prefer men/masculine people, I tend to just not even relate to what the couples bond over in the first place since the media seems to play up their 'womanness' (don't know if this is a poor-writing / character issue or just a me issue and what I prefer). Either its a mess or I'm a mess or some combination of the two hahahah...