1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really need advice, nobody to talk to

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by BlondeRose91, Nov 18, 2016.

1. BlondeRose91

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    First a little bit about me... I am a 26 year old woman. I have known that I love and am attracted to women for as long as I remember, before I even understood what sexuality meant! I have been in many relationships of both sexes (mainly casual with women), both casual and serious. I have tried it all... Needless to say, I have only ever been sexually attracted to women. I am in a monogamous relationship with a man that I love dearly for two years. He knows I am bisexual, but he doesn't think that I am bisexual since I am only with him.. This is where the problems arise.

He is amazing in almost every way. He is my best friend and there is no lack of communication in our relationship. Except for sex. We are unable to discuss anything sex related. I have a high libido and he can go an entire month without sex. It's quite difficult because I can never discuss any of this with him because it makes him uneasy. I have needs and urges that I am starting to feel are way beyond him. I want to still be sexual with women to satisfy my needs, but I am unsure of how he would take that.

We recently signed a lease for our apartment and we have a strong relationship. I should have listened to the little voice in my head that kept telling me to not sign the lease, but now we are in the lease for another 10 months.

The other problem is I have been doubting my sexuality my whole life. There is a part of me buried deep inside that tells me I am a lesbian. I am not physically or sexually attracted to men, but my boyfriend just became my best friend and I feel that I got comfortable with the situation because it felt safe. I only think about women. I often wonder what it would be like to be in a full fledged relationship with a woman. When I have been with women, I always felt like the more dominant one and the nurturer.

I know this whole post is becoming jumbled because my thoughts are now flying all around me as I am typing this. I am just tired of not feeling the touch of a woman and not knowing what to do about it. I am torn between my morals and doing what is right for me. I am afraid that if I suggest an open relationship, he will take it the wrong way. I don't want to hurt him and lose him... But I don't believe I am bisexual and it's causing me to get more depressed as this relationship keeps going. I would appreciate advice from people who have been in similar situations. I don't have any friends to talk to about this and I figured I would give this a shot..

2. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think that you've answered your own question regarding whether you're bisexual or a lesbian. The rest of your posts suggests to me that you are a lesbian, as well.

I have never been in a similar situation as you, but that sounds like a hard one. I don't think that it is a good idea to suggest to have an open relationship so you can explore your sexuality. To me, it sounds like it's very likely that you're a lesbian and you seem to have reached that conclusion as well so telling your bf that you want an open relationship to figure yourself out seems a bit dishonest. In the end, I think you'll have to hurt him either way. I'm sorry. (*hug*)

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do what is right for you, whatever that may be. If you decide you need to be with a woman, it would be better for him to be single than to be with you if you don't want to be with him. Staying in a relationship because you feel like you're supposed to is never a good idea. If you're a lesbian, leave him so he can find someone who does want to be with him.

I want to be clear, I'm not telling you to leave him. I'm telling you to do what's right for you, whether it means staying with him, asking about an open relationship, or leaving him. I'm telling you that you're allowed to leave him if that's what you want.

4. BlondeRose91

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you both for responding. It's mainly I hate the thought of hurting him. I know there probably is no good way to discuss this with him. I'm also afraid that I might be wrong about myself. I guess a lot of it comes down to self doubt

5. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Firstly I want to clarify something: when you speak about "loving" your boyfriend, do you mean as a friend or as actual romantic attraction? It is possible to be romantically attracted to one gender without being sexually attracted to them. This is not to say that you are not a lesbian because from what you've described you sound very much like one; it's simply worth being aware of the difference between sexual and romantic orientation.

Regarding the self-doubt, I think it would be best for you to become more certain of your sexuality before speaking out to your boyfriend. However I recommend that you speak to him sometime soon during the next few months, because right now there is not so much at stake in your relationship, as opposed to when you're married for example. Since you mentioned feelings of depression, I think it is very important that you speak to him at some point since your current relationship is clearly damaging you psychologically. I'm not going to sugarcoat anything: your partner will likely be hurt once you tell him about your sexuality. For that reason I'll reiterate that it is important to be sure about your sexuality before coming out to him. If the one thing stopping you is self-doubt alone, perhaps take some time to work through your doubts and figure out which ones are truly valid. If, however, you feel that you might have attraction towards men in any way (romantic or sexual), then you should think things through more carefully.

6. BlondeRose91

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I love him in every way possible, but nothing physical. No desires, urges, passion. There is no affection or touch between us. I guess it is more of a friend kind of love. It's to the point that I feel that if I lose him, a chunk of me will be gone forever. He is my rock, as I am his. But it doesn't go beyond emotional love. He has become my best friend. He will give me a peck in the morning and at night, but it's like the kind of peck you give your mother as a child before you go to school. When we are in public and private, I don't think anybody would be able to tell that we are a couple.

My self doubt stems from years of resentment towards myself. For years I have been in denial, forcing myself into various relationships with men to try to make them stick. They have always ended up the same way, we move in together, there is no sex, I lose motivation to make them happy because I become very depressed, and we fight and I move to another state. I have always chosen the "flight" method when it all boils down to it's raw entities. It is different with my current situation because I never lasted longer then 6 months. This is going on two years and we have been perfectly content in our bubble. Maybe it is because I have gotten older and neither of us know anyone out here. We recently moved to another state and I am scared about being somewhere completely alone without any family or friends.

I know that either way it will hurt him, but it will also hurt me. I keep putting myself in these situations telling myself it will be different this time. My mom already accepted me before I even understood myself that well. In high school I would tell her that I needed to talk to her. Her first response would be "Are you pregnant?". Nope lol complete virgin. Her next questions always without a hitch would be "Are you a lesbian?". She told me she voted to approve gay marriage "In case any of her daughters ever ended up being gay, she wanted us to have the same rights as everyone else..." My dad is another story...Complete conservative, republican, old school.

My depression, self-loathing, and self-doubt has always been because I can't accept myself for who I am because I am scared that I will be wrong. I am afraid to let myself be happy and explore because I don't want to lose anybody again. I left home and got married at 19 because I think I was subconsciously trying to prove something to myself. I didn't speak to my parents for years. Now we are on great terms and I don't want to lose them again. Right now I only have my boyfriend, my poarents, and my sister.

On top of all that, it is so difficult to talk about anything sex-relateds with my boyfriend because he skirts around the issue. He knows I am at least bisexual. But he thinks that I am straight because I am with him. He thinks who you are with defines what you are. He doesn't say it to be rude, he simply has his own beliefs. But I am so mad at myself for lying to myself for all these years. I loved my best friend in elementary school, which I have already realized I didn't feel platonically about her. I was deeply in love with my best friend of ten years through middle school and high school. I remember that I actually knew I loved her in every way, but I was too afraid of ruining what we had....

I wish it was as simple as flipping a light switch. I have been struggling with this since I was young. I recently found an old yahoo answers account of mine from middle school asking the same kinds of questions. That was nearly 13 years ago.

7. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think your sexuality is owning you, and instead, it is time for you to own it (yes, I copied this from another thread, lol). You don't accept yourself, and for that reason you keep seeking out men and you keep self doubting because you hope you're wrong to think you're gay. It's understandable that it's hard for you to come out in this situation, but it also seems a bit unfair to your boyfriend to keep him around when you know you only see him as a friend. If you don't want to come out to him, you could also suggest that you want to take a break from your relationship. What I would do in your situation is to seek out people that you can talk to about this (as you've already started doing). Not only in a thread maybe, but in private as well. This way, it might become easier for you to finally accept yourself. You're clearly suffering because of your inability to accept reality, so it's best for you if you start to take control of your sexuality and start to not care about external pressures to be attracted to the opposite sex.

8. BlondeRose91

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You are right. I really shouldn't be worrying about what others are expecting me to be. (I love the quote btw). I was mainly posting and reading in this forum to reassure myself once again that this isn't crazy. It really helps to see that other people have gone through this type of situation as well. This is the best way to describe how I am feeling. I feel like the mouse dangling above the lion's mouth, trying so hard to hold on to that last piece of thread. How do you just accept reality? Do you just let go of all of your pent up feelings and emotions and start living life for yourself? "Two roads diverged into a yellow wood..." For all these years I feel like I have been stuck in this loop at the same impasse with the same decisions to make. Is it normal to be this scared?

9. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, accepting reality can be hard, there's no shame in that. And it's normal to be scared, in fact, I still am a little scared sometimes but I think that you'll feel better as time progresses. I think that it won't work to just ignore your negative emotions about your sexuality and to expect them to go away when you start living live as an out lesbian. Therefore, I think that you need to work through your negative emotions for them to go away. What really helps for me is writing my feelings down really honestly and then talking about them with another gay or bi person that I trust. It might also work when you talk with a straight person about these feelings, but I think that most LGB people will understand them better and if you feel resentment towards straight people you might not want to discuss those feelings with them. Writing down your feelings really honestly and talking about them can be an upsetting experience, but in the end you'll feel better and the negative emotions will probably weaken. It's also good to reflect on your feelings and to try to look at them from a different perspective. Reflection is key. It makes you realize which underlying beliefs prevent you from accepting yourself and once you are more self-conscious you can think of ways to change your beliefs into something more positive.
    I think that there are a lot of gay and bi people out there who are willing to help you accept yourself, and who will recognize your feelings from their own experiences, especially on EC. :slight_smile:

10. BlondeRose91

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    LoveisLife, I cried reading this. Everything you say rings so true to me. I am my biggest critic. The most difficult part of all this is that I have to start fresh to meet friends that could understand my situation. I've actually been writing for years and I know that the main reason that it is difficult to accept myself is the simple fact that I am more worried about hurting and disappointing others' then myself. It is time for me to work on making myself happy, I just find it hard to figure out what the initial steps in that process may be. I feel like this would make my world do a 180 degree flip. Where did you begin when you came out to yourself?

11. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Huh, I'm pretty sure I posted something here, why is it gone? xD

12. BlondeRose91

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That's so weird! It was here...

13. BlondeRose91

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah I see your posts now. :slight_smile:

14. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  15. BlondeRose91

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you I appreciate it!

16. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to say, BlondeRose91, you should give yourself more credit. You actually seem to have a very detailed and insightful self-awareness. How many people can write so well about themselves? Not too many. For the rest, I agree with Loveislife.

17. BlondeRose91

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you so much for saying this! You are very right... It is just so hard to let go of this fear. I have been through so many awful situations that I have just programmed myself to survive and do what it takes to be stable. (Even when it means I may have to compromise who I am) As soon as I think I am getting myself out of this vacuum-like pattern, I suck myself back in!

Plus it is always such terrible timing that I let these thoughts and realizations of myself surface. Always the holidays for some reason... I am about to start a new job in January (Long waiting period) and I am trying to work on getting a car. I feel that if it ends up being the worst case scenario, that I am going to start at point zero once again, just after moving to a new state only a few months ago.

I think a lot of why I push my feelings deep down is usually because I am worried that it is going to make my life an extremely scrambled mess. For all I know, he may be willing to let the lease ride out and wait to decide the living situation till then.. (After I tell him) To me that would be the best case scenario. The worst case is that this will all blow up in my face and I won't have anywhere to go.

All-in-all, every year I come back to this site and start fresh with this discussion and now I am just getting older to the point that I don't want to waste my life and suddenly end up in my fifties miserable and alone.

18. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To me it seems like the stress of denying yourself from your rightful life and choices is causing you a huge amount of distress, in the same way that an extrovert forced into years of isolation would suffer greatly. I agree with beenthrdonetht in that you seem to have an incredible amount of self-awareness. I know from my own experience that this can be both good and bad: as well as enabling you to know more about yourself, it also means that you can find a counter-argument to everything, a contradiction to every revelation about yourself. Thus I am aware that this kind of a mindset makes it much harder to deal with immediate problems, such as your current relationship with your boyfriend.

In cases like these I think you should simply go back to basics, letting go of everything that is causing you the most trouble and doubt: in this case your sexuality. Ignore all your thoughts and questions about your attraction to girls, and instead just think about your feelings towards your partner, and whether or not these feelings are healthy and make for a good relationship. The reason I bring this up is that you mentioned before how you are constantly forcing yourself into relationships with other men in order to fight against your true desires, causing you to feel even more depressed. This is a vicious circle, one that needs to be broken as soon as possible. In order to do this, the first thing you need to come to terms with is that the relationship that you're currently in, one that is more like a burden and inflicts mental damage on yourself, is unhealthy regardless of whether you are gay, straight or whatever. Also, there is a chance that your partner is aware of how uncomfortable you are with him. So although he may initially act upset at the news of you not loving him as a boyfriend, it may be a relief for the both of you if you end the relationship. As Loveislife suggested, you don't even need to tell him that you're a lesbian; simply ask for some space. Perhaps you should try and explain to this to him in a way that shows that you do still care for him and value your friendship with him, in that way you may not necessarily lose him, which is one thing that you seem to be quite afraid of.

19. BlondeRose91

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I couldn't agree with you more. It's been a long time since I have had somebody in my life that I could trust as much add I trust him. I don't trust easily. I usually stick to myself and end up being a lone wolf with nobody to talk to. I'm just the type to think of all the scenarios and make plans to correspond with each possible case.

20. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know the feeling, I overthink possible scenarios all the time. Lately I've been trying to make myself more approachable, though that has become somewhat more difficult due to everything going on lately with myself. In the same way, you may continue to struggle to open yourself up to others while you still suffer from feelings of depression, among other things.

You seem to value your friendship with that guy a lot, do you think it would be possible to continue that friendship despite a break-up?