1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual Orientation Suppression

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by AidenVT17, Nov 28, 2016.

1. AidenVT17

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ive started researching sexual orientation suppression, would anyone like to help me or provide me with any details?

2. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    for what purpose?

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Althought some people claim that it is possible, there is no evidence that it is possible to change your orientation, and the methods normally employed for that purpose are not only ineffective, but extremely harmful.

As for suppressing your orientation, all you can do is to avoid acting in your attractions. However, chances are that this will only cause more denial and psychological pain.

Being LGBT is a perfectly normal and natural thing. May i ask why do you feel interested in suppressing your orientation?

4. Linkmaste

I personally suppressed my emotions of being attracted to other women while dating/married my husband.

I was depressed, I couldn't sleep, I was angry and had withdrawal issues where I wouldn't talk to anyone for days at a time, I lost my peroid, I was able to screw up my RCMP applications, I lost friends, I gained weight and acne, I felt isolated and stressed anytime sex came up and when I drank alcohol I would be very aggressive to women.

I don't think I had a damn positive thing to add for suppression. It worked for a time but sooner or later it will come and bite you back
    Hard.

5. AidenVT17

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Im very interested in the psychology and societal role on sexuality.

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2016 at 08:28 PM ----------

To figure out more about sexuality and then conduct a scientific study

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to be more specific in what you are trying to learn. 'The psychology and societal role of sexuality' is an enormously broad topic.

Even 'sexual orientation suppression' is an ambiguous topic. What do you want to know specifically? Are you asking if people deny and suppress their sexual orientation? All the time. Can they do so succesfully? The data says no... These people are almost universally miserable and much happier once they come out.

Conducting a scientific study, at least one that will have any validity and data worth reporting, is a complex task. You will need to either have a deep knowledge of research methodologies and statistics, or collaborate with someone who does. Designing the methodology to figure out what you are trying to study, isolate how to study it, look for potential confounding factors, and coming up with a robust design takes time and effort. Then there's Institutional Review Board approval, which requires a lot of attention to detail and an annoying level of back and forth.

The field needs good researchers, so I encourage you, and I want to make sure you know what you are in for :slight_smile:

7. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is what I am trying to do. I came out but after 11 years I have decided to go back in the closet and not act on anything to do with my sexuality. I know it will cause more depression and anxiety and a host of other things ... but after what I have experienced, I have to try. Maybe I just have internal homophobia? I don't know ... either way I am not as comfy as I thought with being gay.
    I have also tried looking up info and all I found was that one shouldn't suppress it.