1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is same sex attraction and homosexuality the same thing

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Shasta, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    Is there a difference between SSA and homosexuality.

2. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm from my experience, yes. But then again I've heard it described differently by different people. The only time I've ever heard the term "same sex attraction" used is by the Catholic Church to describe people who are sexually attracted to the same sex, so yes, same sex attraction and homosexuality are considered the same thing, but I've also heard that someone who has "same sex attraction" is someone who may or may not act on that attraction where a "homosexual" does act on that attraction.

Really though..yeah its the same thing, used interchangeably 99% of the time

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on what you mean.

To me a homosexual is exclusively attracted to the same sex and never to the opposite sex. Of course, there are some exceptions. A kinsey 5 or bicurious lesbian is still homosexual, someone who experiments a few times is still homosexual. But someone with legitimate bisexuality is not homosexual- they are bisexual, despite same sex attraction.

A kinsey 1 could also have some same sex attraction but are heterosexual. They just are curious and experiment once or twice.

4. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    Although I have never acted on my attractions I find myself strongly attracted to women at times. Right now I'm dealing with a very strong physical attraction to a woman. However in the past I have had women show interest and it freaked me out. While I do fantasize about girls I have never have acted on it physically. I fantasize about men too and have been with a few.

I don't consider myself to be a 100% gay but somewhere in between. I don't want to label myself as my sexuality is very fluid. I find myself different my peers because of attractions to the same sex. Then the realization of difference becomes a tolerance of the possibility that “I am homosexual.” I'm confused by my experiences

swinging of the pendulum toward my identity I come to the conclusion that all things homosexual. Then the pendulum swings back to the center. Then I incorporate myidentity into a larger sense of who I am in the world. I condor being strongly attracted to woman as part of who I am

5. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, there's a big difference.

Same-sex attraction (SSA) is used by proponents of conversion therapy or others who believe there is something fundamentally wrong with being gay and that an individual can overcome their so-called same-sex attraction and choose to be straight (that is, homosexuality or being gay is a choice). As such, the term is considered by many in the LGBT community as offensive and should not be used as a synonym for homosexuality.

Homosexuality is a clinical term, like heterosexuality and bisexuality.

#5 SiennaFire, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  6. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people

Thank you for your advice. I don't think it's a choice we are born that way. But I would like to thank all of you. You have all helped to learn about myself. :thumbsup: