1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two romantic orientations?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by CROSSY ROAD, Dec 19, 2016.

1. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I have this question about romantic orientations.
    I was panromantic, but I have also discovered that I am hyperomantic, too. Can I have two romantic orientations, or is there a combination of the two?

2. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The idea of romantic attraction/orientation is not found in science and it has no technical definition. For now, it means what most people agree it means -- and most people use "x-romantic" to describe something about the way they experience romantic attraction. There are many aspects to orientation, so many words can stack up.

Hyperomantic is a word like demiromantic or grayromantic which doesn't necessarily mean much by itself, but it can be used to qualify a romantic orientation like heteroromanticism, homoromanticism, or panromanticism. (If someone said "I am hyperomantic" without saying anything else, I would assume they are also panromantic, since they didn't say gender mattered to them at all.)

You only have one orientation, but you can describe it with many words (or one word with many prefixes, like hyperpanromantic) if that's what works for you.

3. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, thanks so much!

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like Dachs said:
    Don't worry too much about labels. Most of them are too confusing and there are many without scientific basis anyway.

In my opinion, you should use a common label that you are comfortable with, and explain the variations when you need. Using uncommon/unrecognized labels is complicated, as you will need to explain them anyway. It is not pratical, and most of the times, these labels are confusing rather than helpful.

I'm not saying you can't use X or Y as a label, but i wouldn't worry too much about describing yourself if you are confused about the words. You are who you are, and you should be respected regardless of your gender/orientation. That's what is important.

5. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Chiroptera. BTW, love your profile picture.