1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're going this way, that way

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by knotmidgelet, Jan 14, 2017.

1. knotmidgelet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I grew up in a very 'normal' family where everyone is 'normal' (aka, straight). I had crushes on male celebrities (and looking back now, I definitely had crushes on female celebrities too - though they were never discussed) and had a couple of 'boyfriends' (nothing went beyond hand holding and the occasional peck of a kiss) during my time Secondary school. I remember someone commenting to my mum that I must be a typical boy-mad teenage girl and her response was something along the lines of 'oh, she doesn't do boys - she has horses'. I didn't really question that. When I went to uni, I figured that all that boy-stuff would just sort of...happen. That I would find myself in a relationship and that everything else would follow. Well - I did enter a relationship but though it lasted for two years, nothing physical happened. I didn't mind a cuddle on the couch watching a movie, but anything beyond that and I just froze. He was very good about it and didn't push, but ultimately that's what ended things. The same has happened twice more over the last ten years and I realise now that I was in the relationship because they were attracted to me, not the other way round. It felt nice that someone wanted to be with me, you know?

Anyway - I've done a hell of a lot of soul searching over the past couple of years (including talking to a therapist (for depression, mostly, but a lot of this stuff came up)). I thought that I was asexual for a while (and still might be), but the thought of being with a woman doesn't repulse me in the same way that the thought of being with a guy does. Trouble is, I've never been with a woman and living as an Expat in Nepal makes dating all but impossible (not exactly a big scene here, you know?) Add to that social awkwardness and I feel like I'm destined to be alone forever. Which is pretty damn depressing. I would love to have a family some day I just....don't really know what that family unit would look like?

All of which is to say - I really don't know where I am anymore!