1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinsey scale

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Jacob D, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all. Sorry to bring up my confusion over my sexual orientation yet again, especially after I said I wasn't going to worry about labeling myself or worry anymore whether I'm straight, gay or bisexual. But I feel this burning need to know. I'm sorry about this but I'm frustrated with myself. Is the Kinsey scale real? What does predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual mean? Am I most likely gay? Does scoring a 1 on the scale mean you're gay?

2. LoyalGryffindor

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IDK if you took a Kinsey scale test, but sexuality tests are extremely inaccurate IMO. The Kinsey scale is real. The 1 does not mean you are gay, it means you are straight with homosexual tendencies. 0 means you are straight. 2 means you have a preference for the opposite gender but are attracted to both. 3 means you are 50/50. 4 means you have a preference for the same gender but are attracted to both. 5 means you are gay but with heterosexual tendencies. 6 means you are exclusively homosexual.

3. SiKiHe

Sexuality can be on a sort of spectrum. For some people it's very strictly one way, for example someone can be strictly heterosexual and would never under any circumstance be with the same sex. Some people can be middle ground Bisexual meaning they feel equally attracted to both sexes. Then others lean to one side or the other to varying degrees. I, for example, call myself Bisexual, but what I mean by that is I mostly like women, but can make exceptions for certain men and I'm comfortable being physically close to men.

being a Kinsey 1 would make you heterosexual as I understand it. You can decide to identify as heterosexual and if you find yourself falling for another guy, that's you exception. You could Identify as Bisexual with a strong preference for women. The scale Kinsey scale is a way to visualize this idea that sexuality is not as cut and dry as people think it is. Being a kinsey 1 wouldn't make you gay though. Being a kinsey 5 or 6 would more likely be labeled as gay.

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2017 at 09:41 AM ----------

I would call myself a kinsey 1-2. I'm planning to marry a man but I am more inclined to look at women and am very attracted to women

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the Kinsey Scale is valid. Is it "real"? I mean it's just a way of describing your sexual orientation. Or do you mean is it real as in is sexuality really a spectrum? I think so.

I wouldn't base your Kinsey score on any test though. Look within and ask yourself: Who are you primarily attracted to? Try to think about this over your whole life since you started feeling attraction, not just what you've felt recently. I think you stay basically the same but it can fluctuate a bit one way or the other over for many people.

I would call myself a 1. I have no romantic interest in men at all, usually don't feel sexual interest either, but I could imagine hypothetical scenarios in which I would maybe do sexual stuff with a guy and be into it. And I consider myself straight.

#4 Rickystarr, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  5. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so the Kinsey scale test is real then. Thanks SikiHe and LoyalGryffindor. I found the wording of being a 1 confusing. So I can identify as either straight or bisexual right? I'm definitely into girls and attracted to them but I've messed around with my best friend. He's the only guy I've messed with though. Still don't know how I should identify as. What do you guys think? Should I just identify as bisexual or should I identify as straight? What's your opinion?

6. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Many would call you "heteroflexible" lol.

Are you interested in messing around with other guys in the future? If so, you are probably bi. If not and your best friend was a special case, then maybe you are straight/heteroflexible.

7. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Rickystarr. Heteroflexible? I don't I think I ever heard that label before. lol
    No I'm not interested in messing with other guys in the future. I think Brandon is the one special case.

8. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you could safely call yourself straight then. Plenty of straight guys have had homosexual experiences in the past. That doesn't make them not straight, even if they enjoyed it on some level.

But really, it's about what you are comfortable with calling yourself.

So yeah. Having one gay experience does not make you not straight.

And I would consider a heteroflexible person to be someone who considers themselves straight, but not vehemently opposed to same sex encounters in special circumstances. Pretty much a kinsey 1.

9. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Did you take this test
    Kinsey Scale TestJacob,

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2017 at 11:48 AM ----------

This is the one I prefer
    Kinsey Test

10. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Bunnydee, no I took the test earlier last night but from a different site. Thanks for the second link, I'll check that one out.

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I consider people who are 0 or 1's to be straight, 2-4's to be bisexual, and 5 or 6's to be gay.

The numbers just have a slight difference on how one affects your sexuality. Being Kinsey 0 would be the most rigid form of heterosexuality. It basically means that you would never be willing to touch the same sex in a sexual or romantic way. Not even if you were in prison, same-sex schools, not even friendly "bro handjob practice". They would never do it. A kinsey 0 will choose to die celibate if there is no one of the opposite sex available.

Kinsey 1's on the other hand are more flexible. They will sleep with or fantasize about the same sex to some degree, but they usually don't feel bisexual. It's a more of a rare sort of thing to them- situational sexuality like "prison sex/experimenting" or even feeling something special for one particular person of the same sex but not for anyone else.

Kinsey 2's are actual bisexuals in my opinion, but they prefer the opposite sex more. They would happily date or sleep with people of both sexes, but have a slight preference over which. Those girls you see who actually identify as bisexual but say they prefer dudes are an example of a 2.

Kinsey 3 would be a bisexual with no gender preference or care for gender at all.

Kinsey 4 is the "gay leaning" version of 2, 5 is the gay version of 1, and 6 is the gay version of 0.

Hope this helps. If you are a 1, I'd consider you straight. Keep in mind that kinsey 0's and 6's are actually rare. I'm a kinsey 6 but they aren't as common in my circles, so I assume is the same for 0's.

12. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey Jacob,

You could also check out this video. It's one of my favs as well for people questioning.

[YOUTUBE]vUQspwQ6hxs[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2017 at 02:25 PM ----------

I keep trying different kinsey tests to see if I'd get a different response, but nope always same.
    You got: Strictly homosexual.
    You’re gay, and there’s probably nothing that will ever change that. As soon as you started having sexual thoughts, you had them for people with the same sex as your own. You’re only ever going to be attracted to people of the same sex, and because of that, your sexuality isn’t very fluid at all.

13. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Creativemind, yeah that does help and thank you. My Kinsey score of 1 makes better sense to me now and I'm feeling good about this. I do feel something special for Brandon and only him and I'm perfectly okay with that. I'm growing more and more it seems like every day. :slight_smile:

I'm feeling in such a real open-minded kind of mood today. I'm going to take all the good advice I got on my other thread and let things happen naturally between us. Just go with the flow. Yeah I'm going to see where this takes me and experiment or explore or whatever it is called with Brandon. :slight_smile:

Bunnydee thanks, I will certainly watch that video :slight_smile:

14. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chip, I know you're really busy on EC but what's your thoughts?

15. Quist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There was one I took where it just asks you some questions about some pictures and nothing else.

It said I was a Kinsey 0, AKA 100% straight. :roflmao:

all the other ones were pretty spot on and gave me a 2. There was a very long test that gave me a score of 2.6, I'm pretty sure I got the link from a thread on this site.

16. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Quist. Which test was that with the pictures and questions? The Kinsey scale test I took had no pictures.

17. Henry1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Jacob, Im really leaning towards you are bi, but i dont know. I also dont like labels per se.. but if i have to pick one its bi. When i did the test, im smack down in the middle with bisexual. lol.

18. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Henry thanks. I don't know either but I like your pick lol.

19. Henry1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I just dont know why a label is needed. Just sleep with whoever is down for it.

20. Quist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it was linked in another Kinsey thread on this forum, or maybe I got the link elsewhere, I'm not sure.

It was just a series of pictures that could look like several different things depending on which way you looked at it, and the questions asked what you saw.

An example would be two people painted and situated in such a way that they appear to be a frog at a quick glance, etc. Then it would ask what you saw first, two people or a frog.

How any of that is an indicator of what your number on the Kinsey scale is I have no clue.