1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demisexuality

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by PennyT, Feb 9, 2017.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never felt sexual attraction to anyone, just romantic, and even then there isn't much. So I'm wondering if I'm demisexual. The thing is, I do masturbate, which seems to contradict the asexual-except-with-a-deep-bond thing, so I'm not sure.

2. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure that masturbation contradicts the whole thing about not having a deep bond, because after all, you do know yourself best, you know? It sounds like you're probably demisexual, but I'd say in the end you shouldn't worry about a label if you're not sure, just be you and don't worry about how to say it :slight_smile:

3. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the response! That's a good point about masturbation. I hadn't thought of it that way before.
    I mostly worried about this because last summer I finally came to terms to event gay, and I came to that conclusion because I'd had a hardcore crush on a girl, but never a guy, and I hadn't met a guy that I'd wanted to do any sexual stuff with. I don't know if I should start identifying as bisexual or pansexual to give my family a headsup if I start dating guys or something.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no credible evidence for a standalone concept of demisexuality. The description for demisexuality actually fits well within the normal spectrum of ordinary hetero or homosexuality.

Most commonly, people describing what you describe are simply people with lower sex drive, either hardwired, or secondary to other issues (anxiety, depression childhood issues.) so most likely, you are simply a normal hetero or homosexual person, no special label required. :slight_smile:

5. Thesantos

I admit that Demisexual is a new term in me.

But, like other posts, I wouldn't put too much thought into the label. The label puts you into a box. Approach people with sincerity and be open to what people have to offer.