1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Gigi Gorgeous really a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by mlansing, Feb 13, 2017.

1. mlansing

I saw this video where Gigi Gorgeous came out as a lesbian but in the same video she admitted to coming out as gay in high school back when she used to be a boy. I agree with the premise of her video that no one can tell you what you are, but it seems weird to me that she would like guys enough so as to come out as a gay boy in high school but then because she fell in love with a girl after she completed her trans journey she identifies now as a lesbian. Did her attractions to men suddenly vanish? In other words wouldn't it make more sense to identify as pan or bi in this context? I'm just a little confused and wondering if anyone has thoughts or insights on the matter.

2. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know her but maybe she wasn't attracted to men but instead thought that coming out as gay would be more acceptable than coming out as trans. I guess a lot of people believe the stereotype that gay guys are inherently more feminine than straight guys so maybe it gave her more freedom with her gender expression. Again, I don't know her but I doubt your sexuality can completely change with HRT. It's also possible that she is bisexual but much prefers women over men and finds it easier to call herself a lesbian. That's the only reasons I can come up with.

3. DoriaN

Hormones can have an affect on your orientation to a degree, I knew a transwoman that was lesbian but while taking hormones started to like men, it scared her so she stopped the hormones. Many experience a shift due to hormones, but there isn't a hard and fast rule to it.

She originally came out as gay and dated exclusively men for years, then came out as trans later, then years later came out as lesbian 4 months ago.

Here's a video of Gigi before, next vid talking about a bad date with a guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWvthDtKLT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UIZ1fOhPH8

Coming out as les

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HclVrFsAnY

So ye

4. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah I think that hormones might impact your sexuality. I know a trans guy that said that he fell in love with a girl in his early teens but now he identifies as a gay guy.

5. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know. Maybe being trans confused her about her sexuality. She knew she didn't feel like a straight male, so she came out as a femme gay guy. Or another possibility is that she's bi/fluid and in love with a girl. Maybe she was always into girls, but thought her femininity made her gay.

6. mlansing

Ok, thanks for your thoughts everyone. I suppose ultimately I would have to ask Gigi herself but this does help give me some perspective :slight_smile:

7. DoriaN

In 5 years she'll come around full circle, feminine straight male.

8. YeahpIdk

Avid Gigi watcher here.

If you look at her evolution, it is like Tre sort of says. She didn't truly know she was trans until she was older. She did like doing her make up and being super feminine, and I imagine the same way femme lesbians struggle with the whole - but I'm girly and girls are supposed to be with boys - BS, when Gigi was Greg, she thought she was a girly boy who wanted to be with boys.

Then after transitioning and dating for a long time, she met her now GF Nat, and has realized she is a lesbian...much in the same way that I realized I am into women. I dated men my entire life, but it wasn't until I fell for one girl that made me realize my feelings toward men and women were on two totally different playing fields, and one of them didn't feel like anything compared to the other. She talks about it in a video where she comes out as lesbian.

I don't think it has anything to do with hormones, but everything to do with human sexuality. Her gender has nothing to do with her sexuality, but it could have made navigating it a little more difficult. I'm not sure that's even true. Figuring out your sexuality is a complicated process period because of this heteronormative world.

9. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hormones can affect sexuality but they don't usually completely change it.

What might have happened is that she wasn't comfortable being a boy in a relationship with a girl, so she assumed it was because she liked boys. After coming out as trans, she probably realized that the discomfort she was feeling was because she didn't want to be a boy, not because she didn't want to be in a relationship with a girl. I know other trans people who've had very similar experiences.

10. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watch Gigi's videos as well, even before she came out as transgender. Can you imagine if you're trying to figure out your sexuality AND gender identity? She's even stated in one of her videos where she thought she was finally done figuring herself out, but it turns out she wasn't done at all.

I'm sure her attractions to men didn't suddenly "vanish", as my attractions to women have not (only this time, I know I am not attracted to women in a relationship/sexual manner). However, I'm sure that she better understands what about men that she is attracted to.

HRT does not change/affect your sexuality; it is determined at birth. Gigi has recently DISCOVERED her sexuality after "clicking" with a certain individual who happened to be a woman (which is also something she stated in her coming out video).

I believe that she identifies as a lesbian because that label feels most true to herself, as with many of us who identify or associate ourselves with a certain label but aren't necessarily defined by it.

11. mlansing

I think part of the problem for me, though, is this tendency among youtubers to claim an identity that doesn't accurately reflect reality (*cough* trisha paytas) and tbh I think it is disrespectful to the many lgbt people who have truly struggled with accepting their sexuality.

I'm not saying she's not a lesbian, but I think her justification for being one in the video is vague and I still don't understand what happened to her attractions to guys to not say instead that she is bi or pan. And I totally get not needing to put a label on things but she herself is the one identifying as a lesbian.

Perhaps it's just a semantic debate, but I feel that things like this can potentially add fuel to the fire of conservatives saying that sexuality is a choice and having gone through years of the "people can change" ex-gay conservative Christian BS forgive me if I feel slightly triggered.

12. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In my opinion, sexuality doesn't just change like that. She might have acknowledged her attraction towards women, but that doesn't mean her past suddenly goes out the window.

I love her and all, but I still sense there's a bit of disconnect in the whole thing. (not that she's lying, but seeing how her sexuality changed she should have thought twice before coming out as lesbian given it might change again in the future).