1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to miss your ex so long after breaking up?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Nothingness, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Nothingness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me and my ex had been together for 5 years and he was the first person I ever fell for. We broke up because I felt I needed to date more and explore the world more and he wanted me to be a house wife. But I want to experience things before that so we ended it about 3 months ago but I keep thinking about him even tho I'm happy with my new girlfriend. She's smart and pretty and caring and she lets me go out and explore. I don't know why I think about my ex so much idk if it's because I want to be with him or if it's because I feel bad I hurt him or I just want to know what might have been. I just want to know off it's normal to miss your ex tho long after breaking up.

2. Confused887

5 years? Damn that's a long time. Of COURSE you aren't gonna be over him. My therapist told me once that on average it takes half the time of the relationship to get over an ex. It took me a year to get over someone I dated for two months. Three months is nothing. Give yourself some time and take a break, you won't be fully happy in a new relationship if you aren't over your ex, trust me. They'll just be a rebound.

3. CameOutSwinging

Yeah, three months isn't a long time. Especially for how long you were together. Just give it time.

It took me about two years to get over the girl I dated for 7 years. At first it was really hard. Then it became easier though I knew I could be triggered by a thought about her. Then one day I just noticed that I was over her. Something she did that in the past would have thrown me off the rails had me literally not caring at all. That's when I knew. That indifference. I don't even know when I got there, but it took noticing I was there to feel really good about it.

This past weekend I hung out with her and her husband at a dinner. I'm pretty sure she's still angry at me for some reason (maybe she's not over things yet), but I honestly had no problem hanging out. Her husband and I were cracking up the whole night!