1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Club is not the best place to find love...but where do the gays go?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Ryan5154, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Ryan5154

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everyone,

So yes I used Ed Sheeran's song as part of my title for a laugh, but it still holds truth to what I want to say.

Where do gays meet their boyfriends? Honestly?

I am 21 years old, have been 'out' and dating for 3 years now, and I have never had anything meaningful with anyone. I have kissed guys, slept with guys, been on dates with guys. I am on ******, ******, I am sociable, I go out clubbing and to bars, I hang out with friends etc.

So I am beginning to genuinely question that if after 3 years of dating now, and never getting to a serious stage, am I doing something severely wrong or is it just bad luck?

Also I often hear 'You are not going to meet anyone in a gay club/bar. People that go there generally just want to hook up'. I agree that it holds a level of truth, but at the same time, I just feel that gay guys in a club/bar are no different to gay guys anywhere else. Lets say you meet a guy in a club/bar, yes he will probably be more forward about the fact he wants sex there, but lets say you meet a guy in a drama/music class. Yes the gays there will initially not be to sexual, but I just feel the end result is all gays want the same thing.

Even on ******/******. Many of the guys who say they don't want sex, end up making the conversation really sexual very quickly, and it turns into a hookup.

So my point is, how/when did you meet a guy who didn't just want sex from you?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to hearing your responses! :slight_smile:

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heya,

Take a look here, it may help: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/famil...king-relationship-simpler-than-you-think.html

Long story short: There is no big secret. There are those who find boyfriends in bars and apps. There are those who find boyfriends in school, work, common interest groups, etc.

The problem with bars and apps is that most people are there just for sex. Or, even if the person is looking for something more, the pressure of "we are both talking on this app because we want to have a relationship" makes things harder, especially since it makes it easier to set unrealistic expectations regarding the other person.

I'm not saying you can't try to find other people in apps. That's what i do, because i don't have other options in my city, for example. However, a better way would be to find groups that have same interests that you (like videogames, books, etc.) and connect with them, without expecting a relationship to happen.

Yes, it seems weird that i'm telling you "go find other people, because a relationship might happen, but without looking for one". But the thing is: Worrying about having a boyfriend doesn't help you to get one most of the time. A good thing to do is to go out there, show you are available, but using this time to do things you enjoy.

Again, there is no big secret. This isn't a big secret or a recipe: But, while nothing happens at the relationship level, you are enjoying your time, making friends, connecting with other people... and that may eventually help you to find someone interesting.

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the notion that they are basically the same, but not really the conclusion that everyone just wants sex. In my experience the guys were basically the same, but a lot of them really did want relationships. When I was dating I dated guys from bars, clubs, book groups, the beach, the grocery store--pretty much, you name it and, to be honest, in hindsight if I had to pick the guys I met in only one of those places I'd go with bars.

In my opinion the guys are the same--in fact I think the guys you meet in bars are probably a little more likely to be fun, sociable and generally comfortable with themselves--but the venue really just isn't the same. And the venue is one that can lead to some really bad decisions. I was no virgin queen and I had my share of fun but I had a rule: if I'd had a third cocktail (I don't care if I've been out for five hours) I went home alone. We could chat. We might even make out if you really wanted to. But if it was going to go further we'd have to meet for coffee. That was just the way it was and most guys took me up on the coffee, which is a much better beverage for the making of decisions, at least for me.

I have friends that I've been with for over twenty years that I met my first time in a gay bar. I think it can be a great place to meet guys. Also I met my husband--we've been together for 18 years--in that same gay bar (about five years later). Which brings me to my last point. Be out there to meet people and have fun and the relationships will follow. But above all make sure you're having fun. I've had people on this site express dismay that it took me five years to find my husband, five years of dating--but they were amazing years, full of amazing experiences and amazing guys.

Do what you enjoy. Try to do it where there are other gay guys. Actually have fun, be the sort of person people want to meet and it'll happen.

Oh one last thing. Don't be that guy who jumps to the long term relationship thing immediately. Date. Date because you enjoy other people and it's fun. I remember when I was dating I constantly got the guy who had the cart before the horse. I was constantly thinking "wow, I thought we were going bowling, why is this guy picking out china?"
    Don't be that guy.

#3 OGS, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a small note: That's the opposite of my experience. Maybe because i really deslike the environment of bars, i don't usually find fun people there (because they seldom like the same things i like!). So it depends on your personal tastes, of course.

I also found many guys in parties/bars who aren't really comfortable with themselves, but instead, they are really insecure and try to find in sex, muscles and drinks a way to forget their problems (which is understandable, but, of course, it isn't a good way to deal with insecurity).

Of course, not all of them are this way (maybe not even the majority), but, in my experience, there are many people like this.

But, in resume, like OGS said:

Exactly this! Couldn't have said it better.

If you like parties, then go there and enjoy. If you like RPG, find a group for you in your city to play and discuss the theme (Facebook can be a great ally to find groups). If you like books, same thing, find a group about that!

Have fun and do things not because you need a relationship, but because you are using your time with something you enjoy. Find friends, connect with people. That i'll make it easier to find someone - not because you are actively looking and thinking "is this the one?" every time you meet someone new, but because you are enjoying yourself and finding people with common interests - be it parties or World of Warcraft. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gay people still go to; grocery stores, book stores, and all kinds of other places other than clubs and bars.

Maybe that cute guy who was stocking stuff in aisle 6 thinks you are cute, or that guy you see jogging every day...