1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay man falling in love with straight female best friend

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by OButler77, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OButler77

So this is my first post on this site, mainly because I'm too afraid to mention this to any of my real life queer friends. Maybe I'm afraid of being judged, or rejected. I don't know.

I'm a gay man in my mid 30's, and I've been out since I was a senior in high school. I always knew I was gay. I didn't really have a "bisexual" phase during school, more of a "hmm, wonder why I'm not attracted to women" phase. I never felt ashamed of myself. I love who I love, that's always been my opinion.

Recently, however, I've found myself in a bit of a situation. I work at a fashion company (yeah, yeah, I'm stereotypical) and my best friend works alongside me. I've been there for roughly fifteen years and she started working there not long after me. She doesn't have a lot of friends; she's (admittedly) not a nice person, and her attitude turns a lot of people off. But we had some similar interests, so we started hanging out outside of the work environment and we became really close. Personally, I think she's really misunderstood; there's a lot more to her than people see. She's tough and can be a handful, but I know that it's not really her, because when we spend time just the two of us she is a COMPLETELY different person. She's funny and smart and gorgeous and flat-out incredible.

She is a straight woman, and I think I'm falling in love with her.

I realized this while she was at my house last weekend. We were watching something on TV and I just kind of looked over and it hit me how badly I wanted to kiss her in that moment. I shook it off, figuring that it was nothing. But I literally have not been able to stop thinking about that moment. This past week has just been full of revelations for me. I've found myself checking out her ass, and her breasts, thinking about how much I want to touch her, how much I just want to be with her...it's like I had some sort of latent "straight" side...but only for her.

I'm terrified. This is the first time this has EVER happened. I've been seriously thinking about whether or not I would sleep with her. I feel like there's a part of me that really wants to, but another part says, of course I'm not going to do that, I'm GAY. But then I look at her and I think about how she's always getting hurt in her relationships, and how badly I want her to be happy. What if I'm the person who can make her happy?

It feels strange to say that I'm gay, knowing that I'm attracted to her. But it doesn't feel right to say bisexual either, because she's the only woman that I'm attracted to. I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should act on these feelings and tell her? Or if I should just keep it to myself? I suppose I'm also worried that if we were to get together (if by some miracle she felt the same way), I'd be uncomfortable having sex with her. I honestly feel like I wouldn't, but I don't know.

I don't even know how to properly identify myself now. Has this ever happened to anyone? I'm genuinely baffled as what to do, and I'd appreciate any advice on the matter.

2. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Has she ever turned u on?

3. OButler77

Never before this week. But I've definitely been fantasizing about her, and I've gotten hard a few times. I had a casual hookup with a guy on Saturday night and I was thinking about her the whole time.

I'm kind of worried about seeing her at work now. I just have no idea why this is happening NOW. We've been so close for so long, but now all of a sudden? I don't know what to make of it.

4. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    when being with men did you have demisexual tendencies? like how much did their personality and who they were as a person affect your attraction to them?

5. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're flexible. You're human. TTYTT, I think this makes you more of a complete person. Equipment matters less than personality. For once. Now, I'm a hopeless romantic and would suggest you give it a try. But you are a considerate enough person (we have plenty of evidence for that!) that you wouldn't want to start something that might turn out badly.

Nonetheless, I am a firm believer that telling people your feelings is better in the long run. It might just strengthen your (platonic) relationship. Or it might strike a few sparks. If you were thinking of her during a hookup with someone else... well, that's a pretty classic sign.

6. OButler77

I guess there were some demi tendencies, I hadn't thought about that. I only find myself with "oh wow I'm in deep shit" feelings if I'm really close with the person. I haven't had a serious relationship in the longest time, maybe that's why. But I feel like it doesn't really explain why it took THIS long...

I think I'm going to give it another week or so and then if I'm still feeling something for her, I'll ask her out. No idea how any of this is going to work out, but I don't want to just sit around if there really could be something there.

7. DavidH715

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What happened friend? Did you tell her? Did that feeling go away? Let us know what happened!

Lemony likes this.
  8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @DavidH715 It looks like this advice thread is a couple years old and the poster hasn't been active in years either - Doesn't look like we'll get an answere unfortunatly. Just a friendly reminder to check how old a thread is before commenting on it :slight_smile:

#8 HM03, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Lemony likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.