1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning if I'm pansexual

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Rdougall1, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Rdougall1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there,

I just had one quick question for pansexuals that would help me clear up some doubts that I have about my sexuality. Ever since I was in middle school, I always enjoyed looking at guys in the locker room and I had loads of crushes on guys all throughout middle school. However, I also have a disability which made it harder for me to be accepted. I have always believed that it is not what car you drive, how you look, or who you are, as long as you are a good person, you will be successful in life.

This is where it gets confusing. I have been dating my boyfriend since last May. Initially, I didn't feel any sexual attraction toward him but I find that as time goes on, I find him more and more attractive. However, I only experienced this with a guy and when I tried dating a girl in high school, it felt...empty for lack of better word. I feel like I'm still gay but there is this personality thing that I'm still trying to figure out. Thank you for reading this.

2. rainyday

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you asking about whether or not you gave yourself "enough time" to like girls? Like if you had more time/had the right person, you might have been able to develop a sexual attraction to a girl? I'm not pan sexual, but this question has bothered me, too, and I'd be interested in what other people have to say about it. I did make myself have a crush on this one guy-- I'm convinced I did love him-- but through out it I never wanted to kiss or have sex with him, nor could I imagine it happening.
    Although sorry if that's not what you're asking :slight_smile:

3. Rdougall1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is exactly what I'm asking. Again, I'm pretty sure I'm gay but there is this part of me that I still want to figure out.

4. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey, everyone! I'm bi/pan, so hopefully, I can shed some insight onto this.

Sexuality is very fluid for some and very static for others. It depends on a variety of factors. It's kind of uncommon, but certainly not impossible, for someone who identifies as gay having feelings for someone of the opposite sex after being in a relationship for a long period of time. You could be homoflexible, which is characterized by primarily same-sex attraction however sometimes being attracted to the right person of the opposite sex.

Bisexuality itself is a huge gray area. Some people feel 60-40 attraction, some 50-50, it's very dependent on the individual. My advice to you, is if you have experienced almost all same-sex attraction throughout your life, chances are, it will be difficult to experience opposite-sex attraction. Not impossible, just difficult. Identify however you wish to identify because that's up to you. Honestly, listen to your desires because they're there for a reason.

Hope this helped!