1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotypes about other subgroups of LGBT

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Mollyismyname, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Mollyismyname

Do you have any stereotypes about specific identities/groups in LGBT? Write them here without being judged too harshly!

If you might take offense in anything written here, now is a perfect time to leave.

Excluding asexuals, I've personally been wondering a lot about the sexual orientation and romantic orientation "split". Without
    • sounding to oldschool, I personally think like this:

Only sexually interested in a gender: Fetish/fantasy

Only romantically interested in a gender: You either just like your friends alot or you suffer from being brainwashed with heteronormativity

Now, all my stereotypes about different types of "splits":
      1. Homosexual heteroromantic: brainwashed by the "homos can't love"-kind of thing
      2. Heterosexual homoromantic: either a young, unsure girl or a "guys suck I'll just go lesbian lol"-type. I've never seen a guy identify as such.
      3. Bisexual monoromantics has a fantasy or fetish, and biromantic monosexuals just likes their friends alot.

I'm sorry, but I also has stereotypes about demiboy/genderqueers/agenders. They have short hair, are biological females 90% of the time, uses Tumblr, is 12-15 and likes undertale. I'm so sorry...

However, let's write what we want without getting to harsh.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main issue I take with split orientation is that it could be connected to internalized homophobia- especially in the case of homosexual heteromantics. I know many, MANY people who can see themselves sleeping with the same sex but not dating them. That's because of our culture.

Though if we removed the labels, I'm sure the same people would call themselves bisexual until ready to come out.

3. rainyday

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I briefly thought I was homosexual heteroromantic, that being romantically interested in a woman would be "impossible", but it was more cumpulsory heterosexuality and homophobia that had conditioned me into thinking it was impossible. As such Im also a a little skeptical of the split attraction model, but I think telling people they "can't" use it is unhelpful, because at least for a little while it lets people let themselves think of themselves as being homosexual (so it's kinda like it can be useful as a stepping stone and as a subtype of bisexual).

Idk about demigirls/boys and tumblr, it's hard to approximate age online ingeneral and a lot of people on that site are actually age 20-30. Genderqueer seems kinda like a gender specific version of the word queer, so I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of people across various age brackets use it, even outside online.

With the monosexual biromantic, it do kinda agree that it just seems to indicate you can develope deep platonic bonds with someone.

My stereotype for gay gamers is most of us like undertale haha. Two gay/bi gals, a trans man, two guys who end up a couple, androgynous main character, it is definitely an lgbt friendly game. And for wlw gamers specifically, most of us play or at least like overwatch. And life is strange and dragon age.

My stereotype for bisexual women is that they really like wearing the bisexual pride flag colors and making puns. Bisexual people ingeneral? "I fall in love with personalities, not genders"

I don't really have negative stereotypes haha

4. Bisexual people in general have a stereotype for being unfaithful under the assumption that we will never be satisfied with one partner without cheating to get the other.

5. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bisexuals are also well known to be selfish. :dry

6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who used to identify as biromantic heterosexual, I don't think it's fair to say it's always just people who like their friends a lot. I thought I wasn't sexually attracted to guys because my discomfort with my own body made it impossible for me to imagine being comfortable in a sexual situation with a man, but I knew I had always had crushes on guys since I was young. Turns out I'm bisexual, but at that point I wasn't able to really feel attracted to men because of my issues with gender dysphoria.

I'm skeptical of the split attraction model (except in the case of asexual or aromantic people) because compulsory heterosexuality, internalized homophobia, and all sorts of other things can complicate your feelings. I think the labels can be useful and harmless when used as temporary descriptions of how you feel, but they don't necessarily make good permanent labels because that's often kind of a cop out (a way of not having to deal with the fact that your complicated feelings about sexuality might have a fixable root cause instead of being your inherent orientation). I, for one, don't regret using it to describe myself in the past because it described how I felt at the time and didn't stop me from analyzing my feelings and figuring out that I was bisexual.