1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erm... I'm... Bi?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by WeDreamOfPeace, Mar 27, 2017.

1. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys.

So I feel fairly comfortable about the fact I'm attracted to both biological males and females... but have been known to be attracted to androgynous/gender-fluid/trans individuals... question is, does this mean I should go back to the people I've come out to as bisexual and tell that that I'm pansexual?

Where do you draw the line between bisexual and pansexual? If you are pansexual are you bisexual? Are most people happy with just hearing you're bisexual? Do I have to say I'm pan?

Aaaargh man this world of not being straight is sooooo awkward lol.:***::***:

Cheers for your time.

Peace & Blessings

2. LonerGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it depends what you're comfortable with. I think many people outside the of the LGBT+ community may not be familiar with the term pansexual. Unless you want to clarify things with certain people I think bisexual is easier for people to understand. I hope that makes sense. I'm so bad at explaining things lol. I am also questioning what term I feel is the best fit for me. Currently using bi, but I have been in a relationship with a trans woman so I guess pansexual could fit too.

3. Linkmaste

I don't know if I'm totally accurate but I presume Bisexual is following the only attracted to 'men' or 'women' while Pansexual is 'all' so FtM MtF and all inbetween. However, I was taught gender is different than sexuality so then I'm like how does Bisexual fit?

It's a complicated but I think Bisexual would work. It makes a lot less headaches for people who arn't up to term with Pansexual.

End of the road, it's your call. Do what you're comfortable with.

4. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You don't have to come out all over again if you don't want to, as bisexuality is pretty similar to pansexuality. I usually tell people I'm bisexual, even though I'm closer to and more comfortable with the pansexual label. I find "bisexual" is simply an easier term to use as more people understand what it means.

5. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess finding a label is an individual thing , I just like that I am not straight and I enjoy the best of whatever world feels good at that time :slight_smile:!

6. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I guess you're right. Can definitely see bisexual as a label that takes a lot less time to explain! Cheers guys and girls. Peace.

7. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For sure happiness is individual and once someone is happy life is Great!

8. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sticking with bisexual to make it easy even though I am also attracted to androgynous and trans people. Save the pansexual title or others for those people who want to know more if you're comfortable sharing with them.

9. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The definition of the word bisexual depends on the source anyway. Bisexual = attracted to more than one gender (source: the bisexual index). So although I am also attracted to androgynous people (and generally not to very masculine men) I continue using bisexual. I like to keep it simple.

10. Twisted777

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As I see it, bi and pan are basically the same thing - I don't think bisexual necessarily discounts non-cisgender people. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, I like the simpler label.

I'm in love with a trans girl (I should probably tell her that sometime), but I still call myself bi - mostly because, to me, pansexual seems like an unnecessary distinction.

On balance, bi does seem imply that are only two genders, something that clearly isn't true, so maybe bisexual is the wrong term - I have said 'I'm technically pan', I just don't like the name as much I guess.

I don't think anyone I know would care about the distinction between the two, I certainly wouldn't feel a need to come out again.

#10 Twisted777, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  11. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah have felt a lot less insecure about this now. Was just getting a little overwhelmed when it comes to all this stuff...

Cheers for your help guys & girls

Peace

12. Gray9

Hmmmm. I don't know! Doesn't pansexual just mean bisexual? All these new terms! Lol. For my personal experience, I'm pretty sure I'm straight. I like women, but I can't say for a degree of certainty that it'll stay that way. I mean, what happens if a good looking guy pops up and he has a killer personality? It would be incredibly ignorant for me to think I'd never say "damn, he's attractive." I guess I'm just a sucker for personalities, since at times I find the personalities of some men generally more exciting and fun.

Isn't that what pansexual means?

13. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Always think labels just put everyone in a box , my view is we are humans who interare at in others , is one likes the same gender just not being straight should be adequate in my view otherwise what does it matter . It is about happiness