1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok without romantic relationships?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by astriferous, Apr 6, 2017.

1. astriferous

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in high school, and many, many people are obviously getting in and out of relationships and calling them the loves of their lives. Someone I know is even getting married in October??? (and it feels VERY strange to talk about your classmates's wedding when everyone involved isn't out of high school yet) Now I know this sounds like a phase that I might grow out of when I "find the one" or whatever, but I have never, ever felt the need to be in a romantic relationship beyond some weird crushes in middle school. And every time I've had an inkling of a romantic crush - which happens pretty rarely - I had no reason or desire to ask them out. Friends would tell me to "go after my crush" and I wouldn't really care at all. I value platonic friendships and such a lot more in my personal life.

I really put more thought into my relationships with my friends more than anything romantic. The thing is, I find it very easy for my friends to fall into crush territory on-and-off, and ONLY my friends??? But its more like I love them for who they are and how much fun we have together, and I could see myself living with some of my friends for a long time. Idk what's happening :confused: I seriously feel like my romantic orientation isn't normal, because I often can't even tell which of my feelings are romantic and which aren't? help :icon_sad:

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have much interest in romantic relationships either, and I'm a decade older than you.

I just say go with the flow. If you find someone you like, you can give them a chance, but if not, don't force it. Just be happy with the present.

I get crushes on my friends too though, I think that's pretty normal.

3. Luka99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess some people fall in 'love' easier then others. If you can really call it love really, its probably more like crushes. And some people don't. I wouldn't worry about their time schedule on which they do things, you're not them. Take your time.. :slight_smile:

4. Kharina

I'm also nearly a decade older than you (that's scary to say, it doesn't feel that long ago!). I haven't ever been in a romantic relationship and haven't missed it that much so far (though it is worrying me a little now!), so you're definitely not alone. It also confuses me sometimes how much weight seems to be put on romantic love compared to other types of love (like friendship, family etc.), probably because I've never experienced romantic love.

5. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, the in and out (no pun intended) kinda shows that what they are doing is a bit like foam on the beer. Not the real thing.

So the fact that you are not in that merry-go-round isn't quite the disaster it seems. Some possibilities: you will just more slowly come into the mindset of romance (in general); a special person -- your "catalyst" will appear and change everything; you will stay the same and have rewarding friendships.

On EC all three of those have been described, experienced, and shared with us.

TL;DR: A lot of people are like you, and will like you.