1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I really asexual?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by QuinnA, Apr 15, 2017.

1. QuinnA

I think I'm asexual, I don't think I've ever been aroused and I've never seen someone and thought I wanted to sleep with them(by the way, does that actually happen or is it over exaggerated?). But sex is such a large part of society and whenever I've hinted that I don't want sex to my friends they've said that I just need to wait till I'm drunk and there's a hot person there. But I can't even tell if someone is meant to be hot. I can see the things that society says are attractive but that doesn't make me want to jump in bed with them.

I've been with my boyfriend for 7 months now and not once have I wanted to do anything more than kiss him, and even then I prefer hugging to kissing. He's really understanding but I feel so guilty, like I'm robbing him of something.

I don't even know what I'm expecting in reply to this. Maybe I just want/need to write it all down.

A confused Quinn

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You certainly sound asexual to me. You shouldn't feel guilty about your boyfriend missing out as he's obviously happy to be with you as you are.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like it to me.

Your friends sound screwed up. Wait until you're drunk to sleep with someone, wtf?

4. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Truth.

Yeah, you sound asexual. No shame there. And if your boyfriend loves you for you, he won't care.

Sebby45

5. T BOT

Certainly sounds asexual to me.

6. Isaacsolomon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hm. You certainly don't sound that interested in sex, and you never have been. It could develop later, but don't try and force it. If you are asexual, you definitely don't have anything to be ashamed about. And your friends' advice is rly bad, like someone else said. You do not HAVE to have sex, and don't wait til you're drunk to do it.

TANGENT: I at one point thought I might be asexual (having been out as gay for a while). I realised I was just shy and reserved around sex, which isn't the same as being asexual (this is why I haven't jumped in with everyone else to say you're asexual, even though they're probably right). But something that took me a loooong time to come to terms with: if you're not having (as much) sex (as your friends), that's nothing to be embarrassed about. Despite how people behave, it isn't a competition. That is important for asexuals, but important for sexual people to remember, as well. Excuse the length of this post, haha.